Extending Wires

Inu_Yasha

Ok, my problem is that my fan wires are too short to reach my fan controller, so I wanted to extend the wires so that I can make them reach. My plan is this: my fans are Smart Case Fan II from TT, I was going to cut the wire midway so that I would still have the end connector. Then I'm going to remove the yellow wire; from there, there was a 3pin - 4pin connector that has a wire long enough to make it reach. What I was going to do is cut the wire that changes the 3 pin to the 4 pin and use that to extend the wire. To connect them, i'm going to strip the ends of both wires, then braid them around each other, then close it off with black electrical tape. Do you think this will work or is there a better way?

:D you could buy 24AWG wire (fan size wire) and do the job without having to mess up something else. $2 for 100 ft :P

And always useful to have around.

Edited by kobalt

y not just buy a 3pin extension cable. its like 50 cents

:withstupid: much easier....i did the stripping wire thing like hes talkin about and not only is it a waste of time...it makes it look bad if you have a window unless its going to be hidden.

You can make your own extensions look pretty nice with a soldering iron and some heatshrink wrap. I've had to do that with some of mine.

Just DONT forgot to plug in your processor fan after you extend it. I left mine off for about 10 seconds after turning on my computer. :P (luckily, it was fine)