Adobe Photoshop Cs4 + Nvidia

airman

I was waiting for someone to post about this, but if someone already has - I apologize. I searched for *CS4* and returned nothing. So here we go:

I saw something a few weeks ago on Adobe's site about this, but I can't find it anymore. I can't remember where it was.

So, here's a link to an outside source and nVidia's webpage:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37611/140/

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/adobe_uk.html

According to this, and what I saw on Adobe's website as well, Photoshop CS4 will have the capabilities of utilizing GPU acceleration. I like this idea. I read on a review of CS4 (although not released yet) that the program itself loads about 20% faster than CS3 does. I know that's not a lot, but seeing as how many applications are tapping into GPU processing, i'm sure the code will gradually become more and more optimized and be even faster. Unfortunately only a few features are supported by the GPU acceleration, but hopefully in the coming stages of photoshop we will see more and more features with that capability.

I'm not 100% sure that it will be nVidia only, but I haven't found anything on AMD's site about this same deal. The TG daily mentions both on the second page of the link i posted.

It will also be 64bit capable. I like the sound of this.

I'm not sure about the release date, but I'm definitely looking forward to whenever that is.

Discuss?

Edited by airman

Clay posted a news item when it was first announced

Looking forward to getting a chance to try it out. :)

Already plenty of info on the Adobe website - http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/

The design premium package is where it's at for me at least.

Should be available sometime later this month supposedly (I don't think they've quoted any exact dates yet).

I've been really impressed with the performance of Photoshop CS3...much smoother and faster than previous iterations. Of course, I'm sure the quad-core CPU and 4GB of RAM help somewhat :lol:. Should be interesting to see benches of CS4 with various video cards.

Price has always been an issue with Adobe products. Adobe put out this site awhile back where they took user feedback about its products...I forget the site....but it had a listing of the most frequent concerns that Adobe should address according to consumers, and price was number 1. Guess wanting user feedback was just a sham though, seeing as they haven't addressed everyone's main concern.

Yes, I believe that their position on pricing is still the same as it has always been.

A lot of people pirate Adobe's products (a number of them are market standards after all), so the prices are high to make up for it.

I think they might be surprised at how positive the reaction (and sales figures) could be if they lowered prices considerably.

I would certainly agree that offering fully functional educational software for free (or at very little cost) is something every software company should be aiming to do.

Edited by jammin

I would certainly agree that offering fully functional educational software for free (or at very little cost) is something every software company should be aiming to do.

apparently, adobe significantly increased the educational discount price of ex-macromedia products like flash, so i'd say they are going backwards in that respect.

and yes, they should definitely provide this software at no cost to students because in a few years time we are the ones most likely to be paying full price for it considering we will need to use it for commercial purposes.

Edited by psycho_terror