Video Card Fan Question

cabot

I am looking to purchase a gforce type vid card. During my research I have noticed that most cards come with cooling fans but some of the exact same cards do not. What gives why would they make a card that required this type of cooling without a fan on the H/S? Also, I have noticed on some of the GForce 3 cards even come without H/S on the RAM.....

Thanx

Cabot

Thats insane huh. I have a Geforce 3 ti200 that only had a h.s., so I bought a Crstal Orb from ThermalTake, which is way better then most of the normal fans that come on those things.

the majority of video cards on the market come with the most horredous fans possible,some are so cheap that they fry themselves out within a few weeks (some thing that happened to me with a gforce2).even the high end cards with dual fans and ram sinks seem lame to provide sufficient cooling.personally i would prefer a card with only the heat sink and maybe some ram sinks,and add a mod that i got from hitechmods.com.(see my reply in "radeon cooling" a few days ago in this forum)

this mod blows away any cooling device you can physically attach to the card,money well spent and peace of mind at the sme time.

i wonder if i were to swop the fan on my video card cooler with a vantec torado 80mm,would it blow the video card out of it's slot?lol! :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

I guess most cards don't really need fans for stock cooling, they ussually just use heatsinks unless it's a new card, but I think lower end cards are made to not need fans for stock cooling most of the time...

Most stock cooling isn't that great anyway, but premium fans which ppl buy seperatly are ussually only needed for overclocking, or keeping the card cooler for better proformance....

If you're planning to get the g3 ti 200 buy a crystal orb very nice fan i oc'd my gf3 ti 200 at 200/450 it works great , ask shaggy he had his core up to 225 :) . I just sold my gf3 ti 200 and got a gf4 ti 4200 64mb with Tt GF4 cooler i'm planning on tinkering with it later :D

------------------------------------

P4 1.8 (oc'd 2.2)

P4s533 (volcano 7+)

PC2700 samsung with Tt heat spreaders

GF4 TI 4200 (GAINWARD) 64MB with Tt GF4 cooler

40/7200 rpm Maxtor

------------------------------------

What stories have you heard DEVIL?

---------------------------------------------------

P4 1.08 (oc'd2.2)

P4s533 (volcano 7+)

PC2700 Samsung 512 Tt heat spreaders

GF4 TI 4200 (Gainward 64MB) Tt GF4 cooler

40/7200rpm Maxtor

---------------------------------------------------

Honestly, if I remembered the name of the sites, I would have told you. However, it also makes sense, the outside fan would blow cold air onto the whole thing, while a fan on it, just blows a little off the core.

I bulit that fan card thing, and it lowered my temps by a lot. I'll have to double check what the numbers where, I forgot them, but it worked great. And was cheap.

An excption to what I said would be the TT Crystal Orb. That works better then anything else IMO.