Merging 2 Raid0 Drives Into 1 Larger Drive?

HoLoDreaM

Is it possible to take 2 drives that are already set up in RAID 0 and merge them into 1 large drive and just do away with RAID and have one primary drive for the OS?

Edited by HoLoDreaM

Is it possible to take 2 drives that are already set up in RAID 0 and merge them into 1 large drive and just do away with RAID and have one primary drive for the OS?

I'm not sure I understand your question...do you want to copy the data on a RAID-0 array to a larger single hard drive?

If you're talking about having your system see the two drives as one large volume without using RAID, then you can create a single volume set or spanned volume. If your motherboard supports JBOD then that could be an option as well. However, I don't think you can install the OS on a spanned volume or JBOD.

I think you should be able to clone the raid array with the software the manufacturer supplies with the drive. If the larger drive is an OEM drive then just download the software from the drive manufacturers website. I have not tried it but it seems you just want to clone the raid drive and then run with just a single drive and then use the Raid drives for another purpose.

I think you should be able to clone the raid array with the software the manufacturer supplies with the drive. If the larger drive is an OEM drive then just download the software from the drive manufacturers website. I have not tried it but it seems you just want to clone the raid drive and then run with just a single drive and then use the Raid drives for another purpose.

Exactly. This is a computer I'm working on, not personally mine and can't figure it out. There are 2 drives in RAID 0 totalling 320gb. She just bought a 500gb and wants to move everything over to the 500gb and get rid of the RAID setup. I have Acronis True Image 8.0 full version, but I did not see the partition on one of the drives. Pretty much we suspect one of the RAID drives to be going bad, so we're attempting to copy all data to a 500GB before it takes a total dump.

And then if/when I get everything copied, is there anything special I would need to do to get it to boot to the OS from the 500gb??

Edited by HoLoDreaM

Once you have created an image with Acronis, make sure you create a rescue/boot CD using Acronis. Next, install the larger drive (without the the RAID 0 array) as your primary drive and boot off the rescue CD and copy the image to the larger drive and it should be all ready to go.

Ok, it seems the RAID image has been successfully transferred to the 500gb. After the RAID has been imaged, I do not see any options to perform a boot/recovery disc or anything. I cannot access Recovery Console to run fixboot/fixmbr at this time. Where do I find this rescue disc creation?

Edited by HoLoDreaM