Bsod, Rsod And More Death

Sorry, if this is in the wrong forum bet I'm not sure where to put it, so I put it somewhere general.

So I have this new computer I built about a month ago. It's worked fine, but now I'm occasionally getting BSOD and RSOD while using my pc.

Just recently I started playing Lord of the Rings Online and after a few hours of playing I got a Red error screen. I'm not sure if this is called the RSOD or what. My computer restarted and booted fine. I thought I was having a heat issue, even though my HD4850's fan is at 65% and even though I've played Crysis just fine with my gpu overclocked without this problem. But I lowered the overclock just to make sure and got back to playing.

This time I opened Coretemp and Catalyst to check my temperatures every so often. I also lowered the graphics in the game from Ultra High to Very High. My gpu was staying under 60C and my processor around 45C max, but after another few hours of playing I got a BSOD. So my computer restarted and booted up and I began searching the internet for problems. I couldn't help but watch a football game on my pc while I searched, and after about 30 minutes to an hour of watching this game and browsing the internet I again got a BSOD.

I booted back up and came to the final conclusion that it could not be a heat issue as all my components are sitting really cool, but I have not ruled out some kind of graphics card issue yet. I did begin to think that it was either software related, or hard drive related. I downloaded Seagate's SeaTools and ran a Long Drive Self Test which found no errors. I ran HDTune's error scan as well as kept an eye on the hard drive temperature. The scan showed no errors and the hard drive temperature never passed 25C.

So I think I can possibly rule out that it's a bad hard drive, but I don't want to, because ever since I put this computer together I always get a post message saying "No Hard Drive Detected!", yet I haven't paid much attention to it because my computer always boots up and I haven't had any hard drive issues, that I know of.

I didn't know I should look for an error code on the BSOD's until this point so I set out on my quest to encounter the error again. And what better way than to play LotRO? So I began playing and of course after an hour or so my screen goes blank and some loud, quick clicks come from my speakers but no error message came up. My computer just restarted. And this is the point I'm at now.

So does anyone know what this error could be related to? What software can I use to scan and make sure I don't have any bad windows files or other software related issues? I haven't ran Memtest yet but I think I will do that just to rule out bad memory, but I really don't know what this issue could be from. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I don't have the code for the errors on any of the screens, I will look for it the next time I encounter the issue and post it here.

Edit: Most specs are in my sig, but here's the rest...

Vista Ultimate 32 bit

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Edited by malmsteenisgod

have you tried putting your cpu back to the stock 2.4ghz and see if that stops it? do the mem test as well and a stress test like occt or prime95 for the cpu.

i would definitely make sure that you are back to stock settings with no OC on any component until you rule out the problem as the OC could very well be causing the instability issues.

I don't think it could be the cpu because I have been running my cpu at 3.0ghz stable for weeks now without any errors in prime95. But, I will set it to stock and check it out.

dkok11, I don't have more than 3gb of RAM, only 2gb, so that doesn't apply to me.

Also, I encountered another restart while watching videos on youtube, however i did not get a BSOD or RSOD, it just shut down and rebooted.

I don't think it could be the cpu because I have been running my cpu at 3.0ghz stable for weeks now without any errors in prime95. But, I will set it to stock and check it out.

dkok11, I don't have more than 3gb of RAM, only 2gb, so that doesn't apply to me.

Also, I encountered another restart while watching videos on youtube, however i did not get a BSOD or RSOD, it just shut down and rebooted.

Reformat your hard drive, Reinstall the os and do a virus scan..

And if it still crashes watch your temperatures closey.

Sounds like overheating or an unstable overclock, have you checked your CPU and GPU temps?

Sounds like overheating or an unstable overclock, have you checked your CPU and GPU temps?

I lowered my Q6600 back to 9x333 and haven't noticed any problems since then. I was certain my overclock was stable though :\

I'm wondering if I'll ever get a stable overclock on this board.

I'm glad I didn't wipe my hard drive and do a reinstall of my OS though. I was kind of hoping that would be a last resort. But I still can't explain why I always get a post message that says "No hard disk is detected!" Any ideas on that? I tried using a different SATA port and a different SATA cable. I guess it doesn't matter though, as long as the hard drive works.

Edit: With it taking as long as it did for my OC to finally fail, could this be a sign of overvolting? Will overvolting cause the processor to fail even if the temperatures are still pretty low? Or do I need to bump up some voltages a bit in order to get it stable?

Edited by malmsteenisgod