Building A Cheap Gpu Folding Box.

IIxNullxII

run 3 or more GPU clients using 8800GTs (or 9800GTXs if they are similarly priced) and you will make 15k+ PPD... don't even bother using CPU folding IMO... the GPU performance is slightly CPU dependent, but pretty much any dual or quad core CPU will do

you just can't compete with GPU folding, the performance is immense... as many GPUs as you can run in one rig is what you want, as already mentioned... don't bother with multiple crappy rigs... one monster multi GPU rig will probably give you quadruple folding output of the equivalent budget single GPU rigs

run 3 or more GPU clients using 8800GTs (or 9800GTXs if they are similarly priced) and you will make 15k+ PPD... don't even bother using CPU folding IMO... the GPU performance is slightly CPU dependent, but pretty much any dual or quad core CPU will do

you just can't compete with GPU folding, the performance is immense... as many GPUs as you can run in one rig is what you want, as already mentioned... don't bother with multiple crappy rigs... one monster multi GPU rig will probably give you quadruple folding output of the equivalent budget single GPU rigs

How do I set up multi-gpu folding? Not SLI because it won't take advantage of it, right?

Null

Just done some research & found out that GX2s need a x16 PCI-E slot. They don't work in x8 slots. So that means if you want 3 or 4 on 1 board, you'll have to wait for triple or quad x16 slots.

Hmm......well two GX2's might be the way to go, since you'd have the power of 4 cards, but you could save on the motherboard by just getting one with two 16x slots, rather than the P7N diamond which is fairly high end.

I kinda looked into this. A phenom + 4 PCIe motherboard was like...$300, and then you could cram in 4 8800gt's ultimately...that seems to be the best price / performance...but the 9800gt's might have an advantage if the price comes down. You'd just need a PSU that can do 4x 6 pin PCIe connectors. I'd recommend the PCP&C Silencer 750 as a top choice.

Sounds fun...I can't wait to see how this turns out. :)