New Cooling For And Hd4850

Fueler

I had hoped to get back to work on my HTPC mod this weekend but other pressing needs (including this) pushed it to the back burner again. I have been working from my laptop for the last month or so after the P5B Deluxe motherboard in my main office rig fried the north bridge. After doing a little research I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the most probable cause was a pencil mod to eliminate the vcore droop under load. After several failed attempts to purchase another P5B off Ebay I bought a P5K Deluxe from Newegg which ment I had to reinstall the OS and all the Software....something I was desperately trying to avoid but at least I could use all of my old parts from the P5B.

In the meantime everything else was falling apart too. The waterpump in my son rig started to make like a washing machine out of balance and my network was becoming an increasing source of aggravation.

I decided to ugrade to a gigabit network....from Newegg again I ordered a D-Link DGL4300 wireless gaming router and two DGS2208 8port switches, I also order a new swiftech MCP655 water pump.....this left me about $200 short of the $500 minimum for sixmonths nopay.......so even though I am only a casual gamer I just couldn't resist buying the new ATI HD4850 for a measely $189. I had read about the heat problems so I also ordered a DuOrb vga cooler.

I just couldn't wait to get my hands on this thing.....it never made it into the PC before I tore it apart

HD-4850-1.jpg

Those little silver thing are supposed to be the heatsink for the VRM's.....I don't think so.

A little hacking here and there will fix this problem.

HD-4850-2.jpg

In order to keep the sink flat on the board I needed four mounting points (marked in yellow)

HD-4850-3.jpg

HD-4850-4.jpg

I used some Zalman sinks for the memory....the ones that came with the DuOrb seemed cheap.

HD-4850-5.jpg

All together and ready to install.

HD-4850-6.jpg

I have it OC'd to 690/1100 (there probably is more but I have no reason to really push it) Temps at idle are 43C/44C under load I'm getting 55C/56C. 3D Mark 06 is 12,565....good enough for me. B:)

Dude, nice work! I think you've finally solved the heat problem with those.

Also, what's that case you're using?

It's an Antec NSK4480 .....simple all steel.....I like it, I have two and I have used it several times in builds for friends and family. B:)

I like the brake disc holes especially :D

How's the DuoOrb sound at full pelt?

Those holes work just like the ones on a disk brake too.....they let air flow through for cooling :P

It's not that loud at all....in a dead quiet room you may hear it if you were up close but in my office with four other pc running.....not a chance. :lol:

I had hoped to get back to work on my HTPC mod this weekend but other pressing needs (including this) pushed it to the back burner again. I have been working from my laptop for the last month or so after the P5B Deluxe motherboard in my main office rig fried the north bridge. After doing a little research I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the most probable cause was a pencil mod to eliminate the vcore droop under load. After several failed attempts to purchase another P5B off Ebay I bought a P5K Deluxe from Newegg which ment I had to reinstall the OS and all the Software....something I was desperately trying to avoid but at least I could use all of my old parts from the P5B.

In the meantime everything else was falling apart too. The waterpump in my son rig started to make like a washing machine out of balance and my network was becoming an increasing source of aggravation.

I decided to ugrade to a gigabit network....from Newegg again I ordered a D-Link DGL4300 wireless gaming router and two DGS2208 8port switches, I also order a new swiftech MCP655 water pump.....this left me about $200 short of the $500 minimum for sixmonths nopay.......so even though I am only a casual gamer I just couldn't resist buying the new ATI HD4850 for a measely $189. I had read about the heat problems so I also ordered a DuOrb vga cooler.

I just couldn't wait to get my hands on this thing.....it never made it into the PC before I tore it apart

HD-4850-1.jpg

Those little silver thing are supposed to be the heatsink for the VRM's.....I don't think so.

A little hacking here and there will fix this problem.

HD-4850-2.jpg

In order to keep the sink flat on the board I needed four mounting points (marked in yellow)

HD-4850-3.jpg

HD-4850-4.jpg

I used some Zalman sinks for the memory....the ones that came with the DuOrb seemed cheap.

HD-4850-5.jpg

All together and ready to install.

HD-4850-6.jpg

I have it OC'd to 690/1100 (there probably is more but I have no reason to really push it) Temps at idle are 43C/44C under load I'm getting 55C/56C. 3D Mark 06 is 12,565....good enough for me. B:)

Nice job. I wish I had your skills. I have 4870 in my new (first) build and it runs super hot. Idle at 80 C and 85 C or maybe even more under heavy load. I need to figure out how to change the fan speed on this thing. I heard you can adjust the fan speed in an xml file.

A possible reason to OC it further would be GPU folding B:)

I don't think the client from Stanford is ready yet for the 4850 (at least that's what I read) but it is a possibility in the future B:)

I don't think the client from Stanford is ready yet for the 4850 (at least that's what I read) but it is a possibility in the future B:)

That is what I read also that the 4xxx series are not working correctly with the client they have now. Nvidia is rocking with the GPU client, about 2x the PPD a ATI card can do. Nice job on the card Fueler... :)

Nice job. I wish I had your skills. I have 4870 in my new (first) build and it runs super hot. Idle at 80 C and 85 C or maybe even more under heavy load. I need to figure out how to change the fan speed on this thing. I heard you can adjust the fan speed in an xml file.

the xml hack is super easy-

1. In Catalyst Control Centre, make sure clock and memory settings are correct and turn on Overdrive

2. Create a Catalyst Control Centre profile called "fanspeed"

3. Navigate to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\ and you'll find an XML file titled "fanspeed", open the file in Notepad or your preferred editor. The file should resemble the following:

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">

<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />

</Feature>

<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">

<Property name="Want" value="0" />

</Feature>

<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">

<Property name="Want" value="65" />

4. As shown above, change the "FanSpeedAlgorithm" value to Manual and the "FanSpeedPercentTarget" value to 65 (or your preferred fan speed in percentage)

5. Save the file and reload the "fanspeed" profile in Catalyst Control Centre.

This is for a vista install-xp file location is a little different.