Ok, What Died In My Computer This Time?

I agree....

I have had many, many PCs come in the shop with issues or dead and they all swear it's not the PSU...well in every single case it was the PSU....

I had one customer who changed every part of his PC but the PSU and it still had the same issue....lol

The only time I'll agree to using that trick is to see if the PSU will fire before assembling a build. Aside from that, it tells you absolutely nothing. So the PSU turns on. Neat-o. How does it do when any sort of real load is applied? Paper clips don't really simulate that.

As I've said before, your PSU is the only thing you haven't been able to troubleshoot so it's the quite high on the list as the culprit. It's also possible that it's still the ram since you haven't said if you've tried a different set or not so see if one of your friends will let you throw your sticks into their rig. If their gear posts fine then that's off the list leaving your PSU. If it hangs well then you know what's up.

This power supply is about 6 months old, so it would be unfortunate if it was that. I remember right as my computer started flaking out before I RMAed the motherboard I ran a program (I can't remember which one) to check the voltages going to everything and they looked like they should. They were at the appropriate voltage and they were steady. The guys at EVGA are suggesting it is not the motherboard, since I'm getting the same problem with multiple motherboards. They also said that the motherboard doesn't get power if there is no processor, so that would explain the lack of beeping without the processor in it. I'm leaning toward it being the processor, but I want to be sure the power supply is still good. While I'm testin that thing out in my friends computer, I'll chuck my ram sticks in his computer as well to be sure they're good, but I'm pretty sure they're fine. I wish I could sweet talk him into letting me stick my processor in his box to test that as well, but I don't think he'd go for that.

Edited by SnooSnooKachu

Ok, so I tested my power supply on my friends computer and it appeared that everything worked. I was able to give enough power for his q6600, 8800 gts, and a couple of cd drives and hard drives. I checked in the bios and the voltages I was seeing were as I expected.

Seeing that I have a little extra cash, I bought an e8400 and stuck that in this questionable 780i motherboard. It still wouldn't post when only running the processor and a stick of ram on cardboard, so I must have been given a bum motherboard. I'm RMAing again and getting another motherboard. Let's cross our fingers and hope it works.

And I would just like to thank everyone who has helped me through this troubleshooting process. I know if I ask questions here I will get advice I can trust, so thanks again!