Which Vid Card?

daniel

Which Video Card to get?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. In the range of 200 dollars which is the best vid card?

• Nvidia 9800+
    • ATI hd4850
  2. 2. In the range of 400 dollars which is the best vid card?

• Nvidia 9800GX2
    • Nvidia 9800+ SLI
    • ATI hd4850 CF

From what I've learned, anything that's the "BEST" at this time, no matter how expensive, is out of date or "Old" in 6 months flat. Find something that'll play the games you want, within your budget, and possibly a little "Future-Proof" for a while.

The GX2 is still in the $400-550 range and the 260GTX is appx $400-460 and the 280GTX is still up in the $600+ range.

Honestly, the ATI HD4870 is the best bang for the buck right now and you can add another for SLI mode later if needed/wanted. But, if that's the case, then you'd be back in the $600 range and you could've got the 280GTX at that price. Otherwise, wait for a 9800GTX+ in Mid-July.

Either that, or go for a slightly used high end card to save some money. The 8800GTX is a great card.

After careful consideration, I personally am going to wait fr the HD4870X2 to come out, and then sell my 8800GTX to make back some of the money.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm running 2 ASUS 4850s. They are awesome. I bought so slot fan coolers and that seems to be working fine. For 400 bucks it can't be beat.

I was so tempted to go that route but decided to hold out for the 4870X2. Even if it is not all it is cracked up to be for whatever reason, I can still go dual 4870s.

After careful consideration, I personally am going to wait fr the HD4870X2 to come out, and then sell my 8800GTX to make back some of the money.

You should try to sell your GTX now, as the resale value is only going to decrease the longer you wait.

In the mean time you will have to go without gamming and use a 20-30 dollar card...

Heck, I was only able to sell my GTX for 200 USD Shipped... Noone wanted for anymore..

I was so tempted to go that route but decided to hold out for the 4870X2. Even if it is not all it is cracked up to be for whatever reason, I can still go dual 4870s.

Yeah, I was going to go 2 4870s but I'm glad I did this. It stands strong against the GTX 280 for 250 less

I bought my last ATI product about 2 years ago. It was Hdtv tuner $80 had a $50 rebate

and the rebate was like between *1st-15th* July and I bought it on the 15th from Buy.com

and downloaded the rebate form from page the product was on. ATI refused

to honor the rebate because of the "Between" clause

if it was on the 14th that would have been ok. <_<

I will not buy a ATI product again unless Nvidia goes out of bussiness :closedeyes:

I bought my last ATI product about 2 years ago. It was Hdtv tuner $80 had a $50 rebate

and the rebate was like between *1st-15th* July and I bought it on the 15th from Buy.com

and downloaded the rebate form from page the product was on. ATI refused

to honor the rebate because of the "Between" clause

if it was on the 14th that would have been ok. <_>

I will not buy a ATI product again unless Nvidia goes out of bussiness :closedeyes:

Because of your inability to comprehend the written language you choose to blindly support a company that for the last couple of years has consistently been two-faced to their customers and raped those same customers with overpriced products. Smart move on your part. :wacko:

I needed a spare PCIe card for a review I'm doing and it came down to the MSI 8800GTS OC 512mb card or the 4850. In fact I had already clicked the "buy" button, having firmly decided I was going with the 8800GTS.

Fortunately the buy button was at NewEgg and I placed the order on a Sunday. After re-thinking my decision I swapped to the red team and ordered the 4850 instead. Once I get it I'm going to run it through the full benchmark routine (games only - 3DMark is ok for ep bragging rights, but doesn't tell us a whole lot anymore about how a card will really perform at the resolutions we use with our favorite games IMHO).

If the 4850 performs better than my current 8800GTS 640mb card clocked at 600/1800 then the red card stays and the green card goes. If however the 4850 doesn't live up to my expectations, then it will be on sale for a really attractive price :)

Hope I made the right decision giving the red card a try again. Before I bought this 8800 I was running a X1900XT that was a fine card. I'm hoping the 4850 smokes my old faithful GTS by a good margin.

Lol, has everyone abandoned the belief that a gfx card is good for like 110oC?

I guess so. My card is running in the mid-high 80s right now (it's folding) and I'm not worried in the slightest.

I needed a spare PCIe card for a review I'm doing and it came down to the MSI 8800GTS OC 512mb card or the 4850. In fact I had already clicked the "buy" button, having firmly decided I was going with the 8800GTS.

Fortunately the buy button was at NewEgg and I placed the order on a Sunday. After re-thinking my decision I swapped to the red team and ordered the 4850 instead. Once I get it I'm going to run it through the full benchmark routine (games only - 3DMark is ok for ep bragging rights, but doesn't tell us a whole lot anymore about how a card will really perform at the resolutions we use with our favorite games IMHO).

If the 4850 performs better than my current 8800GTS 640mb card clocked at 600/1800 then the red card stays and the green card goes. If however the 4850 doesn't live up to my expectations, then it will be on sale for a really attractive price :)

Hope I made the right decision giving the red card a try again. Before I bought this 8800 I was running a X1900XT that was a fine card. I'm hoping the 4850 smokes my old faithful GTS by a good margin.

And is there an update to your findings?