Cannot get into bios, but can load/run windows?

I am aware this is no longer the official Dfi support forum, but hopefully somebody still remembers or will be able to assist me with this.

So for some unknown (to me) reason, I cannot get into the bios.

When I hit delete, it goes to a black screen, with the flashing _ (Like dos, without the text/prompts).

This happens with both USB and PS/2 keyboards (1 of each), and it will sit there and hang for at least 15 minutes (at which point I finished making/eating dinner and manually restarted it).

I am unsure of which bios version I am currently running because the DFI-Splash screen is comming up (and to my knowledge I have to disable it in the bios), if it preceeds the DFI-Splash, I don't see it (must load before video card does). Sorry for this inconvenience.

My reason for doing this is because I wish to set up a new raid array (ideally both a raid 0 for os/apps/ect. and a raid 1 for storage/valuable data - the raids would have different size disks), if anybody has any advice beyond angry's guide to setting up a raid array (I did it several years ago and had a hell of a time). I hopefully purchased the drives through the affiliate link ;p

I am completely baffled as to why I can't get into the bios though, as the computer is otherwise reasonably stable (in usage, not testing programs).

I purchased the board somewhat over a year ago, so I'm not sure exactly what the warranty is on them or if they would be likely to RMA it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Basic CMOS reset (jumpers up for ~30mins then back down) didn't work, gave me cmos checksum error (but loaded through). Both PS/2 and USB (only keyboard for each), same flashing thing. Most recent attempt didn't give me the checksum error though.

In other, perhaps more helpful news, while it gave me the error it paused on the bios screen so the bios version is 11/14/05. Would reflashing the bios (possibly to a new one) potentially fix the problem, or would it just make it worse (from what I've read flashing the bios on a board with problems is a big no-no)?

Must have wiggled the front panel wire loose, or something to do with the bios is making it not work.

Will try the longer reset later today.

Also, if anybody is aware, what is the logic behind being locked out of the bios but it running windows is fine (isn't the bios kind of a pre-requisite?)

also sticking this up on the "other forums," not because I think they will be more helpful but just so that if I do end up needing to rma it I can refer it to them.

A new m/b battery is a good recommendation whether you need one or not.

Make a bootable Memtest CD and try to run it when you boot the computer (assuming that your CDROM is the first bootable device) and see if you get any errors.

If your rig is Memtest Stable (8 hours) you are safe to flash the BIOS. I'm very fond of the 0704-2bta for the DFI NF4 boards - it works great (not for use on Expert or Venus boards though). However it will work a treat for the NF4 Ultra-D.

Your statement about the stability of your rig is kind of puzzling though. Stable in usage but not testing programs? Does that indicate that your rig doesn't currently pass things like Memtest, Orthos or dual prime, 3D benchmarks? That is a bad sign if it isn't passing these types of stress testing programs and indicates a serious problem that needs addressing.