Power supply switch - won't even turn on

Okay, I know this might not supposed to be here but I'm pretty desperate for help.

I switched out my power supply to a ProXStream 1Kw (OCZ upgraded me for no reason after multiple complaints of fan noise)

I mistakingly plugged in the PSU first (the unit was always on because there is no rocker switch on the back) and started to plug in all my mobo connections, etc.

Time to turn on, the computer won't turn on. The standby LED's and the DRAM led is on, but when I hit the power button the leds will flash off, then back on and a small, dull 'click' is heard somewhere.

Could I have killed my mobo by doing this? I really don't think I did, as I did this by mistake once with a GameXStream (I plugged in the power cord to ground it but the rocker switch was in the on position and all the fans did a small jump when I did so).

Really need / appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Troubleshooting done so far: reconnected everything with PSU OFF, hit button to clear caps, did a 15 min CMOS reset.

The only other thing I might know is wrong is that the OCZ psu has two HARDWIRED versions of the CPU connector: an 8 pin and a 4 pin. Could it be that NF4-D is complaining about no CPU power? I have the four pin plugged in but I'm not sure .. grasping at the straws here.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna try that.

I'm just curiuos as to what problem the symptoms point to.

On pressing the switch, the standby LED and DRAM led switch off, then back on. Nothing happens after that.

sounds like the psu, I know thats not what you want to here but sometimes they are just fussy(I've been lucky with my Thermaltake 460W and new Antec TP3 550W that both serve me well).

Look at this thread with a supposed great psu that didnt want to cooperate, I think its the same for you.

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread...3061#post783061

I HAVE jumped that damn thing, it will power up and spin up two hard drives with the paperclip trick.

I talked to a testing engineer at ATi and he says the probability of a 'surge' happening is incredibly small.

Whenever I plug the mobo sockets in it makes a very high pitched noise and the clicking noise comes from the PSU.

If it's the PSU: I have nothing to say but GOD DAMNIT.

At least I didn't fry the mobo though. That's a phew.

So even though the power supply works, it's not working?

RMA NUMBER FOUR, I'M COMING FOR YOU.

Even though it works(which it may for other, different setups), Its just sometimes things don't want to work right with certain hardware(motherboards)