Angry's first time (iPod)

Angry_Games

And a few glitches in the player, like restarting the song after the first 6 seconds or so.

I noticed that as well.

Small gripes with the software (not necessarily in order):

1. Easily uses up a lot of resources. Not that big of a deal in the age where 2-4 gigs of RAM is common, but traditionally this pisses me off simply because it shows that someone was lazy when coding it. 120-180MB seemed to be fairly common for me. I got worried when using MediaMonkey at first because it would spike to well over 400MB but that was only when I had it opened for 12 hours straight editing all of my music. It generally uses less than 30MB when opened and around 12MB when minimized now.

2. Screwed up my file names and order. I'm sure if I had more experience with it this issue may have been avoided. However, I don't want all my music separated by artist(s). I want them separated by album so that music that goes together stays together. It might look all neat in the software but I want it to be neatly organized as well.

3. It seemed very intent on forcing me to give in and make an account with the iTunes store to access certain features. I did this, which I regret. Because now they know my Paypal account.

4. Their default skin sucks. I didn't bother looking for any others.

5. From what I understand (I'm not sure about this) it seems either iTunes will "lock" onto particular iPods or vice versa. Meaning once you use the software with one player it doesn't like being hooked to other players? Something like that, I know a bunch of roommates had an issue along these lines.

I think those were my only real gripes. I didn't care for the organization of the windows all that much either, though some were more useful/better than others. All in all I think the software itself is fine, certainly not worthy of the slammage some people put on it. Certainly isn't the best by any means (in my opinion) but it isn't unusable. That said, I'm still not going to touch it ever again.

FYI - I'm going to try that rockbox firmware on my Sansa. No real reason to other than I like making things more complicated than they have to be. Can't wait until I burn it up.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got an 80gb ipod classic (6th gen) for myself at christmas time (had a bunch of gift cards so it cost me like $175 with extended warranty). This is the first ipod ive ever owned, or even listened to for that matter. Little did i know....my life would never be the same....lol

I walk everywhere. Well, walk or take the bus, so i saw something like this a good investment because of the almost constant use i would get from it. I use it for music, tv shows, occasional game of solitare, and have it plugged in to PC speakers at work playing roughly 7 hours during the day.

The battery life i am pretty happy with. With mainly listening to music, watching 1 episode of Seinfeld (~23-25mins running time) both to and from work, i put it on the charger once every ~3 days. One thing that had me hesitating was the fact that i read it was a LOT harder to change the batteries on the new 6g ipods than in previous generations. The way the front and back pieces are joined together makes it near impossible to take apart without damaging the unit. With battery problems popping up in the past (problem with firmware that left the HD constantly spinning, or didnt power down the ipod when idle) this could be a problem. I bit the bullet anyways and just got the extended warranty that covered anything going wrong with the battery. I havent noticed any degredation in the battery life since ive had the unit though *knocks on wood*.

Since i had read quite a bit about them before hand, i never even bothered with the supplied headphones. From the experience of people i know, their lifespan has a lot to do with the volume you play music at. 2-3 people i asked said they were fine, but rarely have the volume above half, and 2 people said they sucked and died (started crackling like mad) after about 6 months of use (with frequent volumes level above half). As for quality, i have no clue. My set are still sitting in the packaging. I opted for a set of the JVC Gummy's that were on sale for $15. They are comfortable for long listening sessions, sound great IMO, and they match the black version of the ipod i got :P

Another thing i think worth mentioning, is once the harddrive starts getting populated, and the amount of albumart you have goes up, i found that the menus started to get a bit sluggish. The only times i notice it though, is when its loading albumart. Im sure if i wiped all the art off of it, it would be more zippy...but the art looks kickass, so i will deal with the slight delay.

iTunes....oh my, iTunes *sigh*. What a piece of junk program this is. The amount of memory its multiple processes take up is stupid. Nevertheless, i loaded up when i got home to at least check it out before writing it off. Needless to say, i didnt care for the program, so i looked for an alternative. Winamp to the rescue. I have always loved winamp so knowing that it supported the classic was awesome. Now the only thing iTunes is needed for is firmware updates (though i havent looked into that. It might be possible to update without iTunes). I did notice a few minor things with winamp though, but it all had to do with albumart not showing on certain screens, but showing on others, but thats pretty minor (though i would like to find a fix).

Something that really bothered me was that lots of people were reporting their old accessories werent working with the new 6G. It doesnt really make a difference to me, because i will likely not get any of the accessories, but it still sucks to know using older gen accessories is very hit or miss.

This is probably my longest post -_- so im just gonna end it with:

I am very happy with my purchase :cool:

the headphones I have with mine are aftermarket, not the default ones that come with it. They sound awful. Static, low bass (to no bass), etc. Very bad. Not impressed. I'm hoping some better headphones will give me the love I need.

I don't need new software for my iPod. Only new headphones. I have plenty of software (Winamp) and the firmware for the iPod...is there something about it that sucks? I put music on it, I play music, what else is there that one would need to do with an iPod other than put music/pics/movies on it??? Does the Roxblocks or whatever firmware mean I can plug it into my pc and have it overclock my PC 1000Mhz stable? Does it mean it will hack a DoD computer and fix a state's lottery number drawing for me?

Or is it just another piece of software/firmware that does what all the default software/firmware does...you play music/vids/pics with it...?

I have a set of sony earbuds " I know you will never buy anything sony! lol" for my zune that makes a big difference in my listening. You will get full clean bass from them, and they are real easy on the ears when you wear them for a few hours. I got mine for like $30. You can get them cheaper if you shop around.

pic

Guest Modulok
I don't need new software for my iPod. Only new headphones. I have plenty of software (Winamp) and the firmware for the iPod...is there something about it that sucks? I put music on it, I play music, what else is there that one would need to do with an iPod other than put music/pics/movies on it??? Does the Roxblocks or whatever firmware mean I can plug it into my pc and have it overclock my PC 1000Mhz stable? Does it mean it will hack a DoD computer and fix a state's lottery number drawing for me?

Or is it just another piece of software/firmware that does what all the default software/firmware does...you play music/vids/pics with it...?

I have never used an iPOD enough to have an opinion on its interface/firmware. But when I compare my Gigabeat's factory software to Rockbox, there is no comparison. I can use the mp3 player like I want, not how Toshiba makes me use it.

I hear lots of nice things about iRiver...too bad they (and others) are jumping on the i-Whatever naming nonsense lol

iRiver came first. I had an iRiver CD walkman, was a great player

When the MP3 players came out I decided to go with Creative's Zen Micro - backed by a major sound card company, looked cool and wasn't iPod ...though I did look at the iPods to be 'somewhat' fair. Let's just say I wasn't impressed with the Zen Micro. It's old hardware now so no point in going into details. Current Creatives could be much better.

Then I tried iPod Nano ...mostly because of the size and it was backed by a player in the industry who has been around. Sound is pretty decent, though i'm no audio expert so take that with a gain of salt. I tend to put mostly House music on it since I mainly use it for traveling. Its served me well for a few years now, would like longer battery life so i'd agree there. While it doesn't help you with your HD ipod, I have to admit i like finger fliping it and twirling it around. :)

I have a set of sony earbuds " I know you will never buy anything sony! lol" for my zune that makes a big difference in my listening. You will get full clean bass from them, and they are real easy on the ears when you wear them for a few hours. I got mine for like $30. You can get them cheaper if you shop around.

pic

ya too bad they are Sony =(

I owned and ipod photo 40gb before, nothing interesting in sounds, and.. itunes doesnt helping instead, its ruining my mp3 collection and playlist(duplicated songs, wrong songs track/missing songs in album).. Maybe i'll look for samsung p2 or other samsung series next time..

Ya I tried iTunes for all of a day (maybe two) before I gave up on that bloatware. Just annoys me when there is something ONLY on iTunes I want and I have to reinstall the crap and then uninstall it ...AGAIN.

I'm starting to turn everyone to DRM-free downloads at Amazon.com

Sure iTunes has many more songs available, but I did a search last night for a fellow student who bought some Indian-Hindu music from a movie soundtrack on iTunes and then couldn't get it off to use it in her speech without the hassle of burning to cd then going back and re-ripping it to mp3...what a bunch of bull crap.

I BOUGHT THE xxxxING SONG, IT'S MINE TO DO WITH AS I WISH.

I've had sooo many people bring their iPod to me and ask me to get some songs off it and my reply is always the same: forget it unless you want to get into a total butt-whip hassle...you can get your songs off, but they come stripped of info and you have to go back through and re-name, re-tag, etc.

Then I went looking for software that would maybe accomplish this, and almost every site I visted was under a Cease & Desist from Apple because it violated their DRM terms.

Well Apple, go xxxx yourself with a splintery shovel handle. When I want to get raped in the butt I'll come to you and pay you for it. Otherwise, all of my business and every single customer I have, their business is going to DRM-free music from another source.

This doesn't solve the negatives of the iPod itself...but all in all, other than the DRM nonsense and the crappy-sounding aftermarket headphones, I can't really complain all that much about the iPod I have lol