I need to vent!!!

radodrill

Last Friday (actually Thursday night) I placed an order from Performancebike (pads on my rear brake are totally worn down and the tires are almost bald). Since their warehouse is in North Carolina and I'm in West Virginia I opted for the standard shipping (advertised as FedEx Ground) expecting to have it within ~2 business days

The items were shipped out the same day but the estimated delivery is the 8th (a full week in transit); turns out it was sent by smartpost (rather than FedEx Ground as advertised in their order process) and it seems to be taking the slow boat to China. It arrived in Martinsburg, WV on the 2nd and this morning it was trucked from there to Leetsdale, PA.

Needless to say I'm totally pissed off about the whole situation. If they had shipped it FedEx Ground it would have been 1-2 days transit time; even Parcel Post would have been within ~2 days. This is obviously misrepresentation on their part. I called their customer service earlier today and the agent didn't really seem to understand my point that it was misrepresentation; I asked to speak with a supervisor, and since the only one still there was on the phone I requested they call me back (which they have not).

I'm going to have to call them up again tomorrow and feel that under the circumstances the very least they should do is refund the shipping charges.

The other thing that beats me is that they charged for sales tax. Their headquarters/warehouse is in NC and they don't even have a brick and mortar store in WV. AFAIK a company can only charge sales tax for a web/mail order if they have offices, warehouses, or retail stores in the state it's being sold to.

Sorry for not posting a nice rant like A_G would, but thanks for reading.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

that reminds me when i ordered some xbox parts from a store in canada, took them a full f%%king month for a 3 inch PCB to get here, sucks for u rado. :(

We need to get a "random rant" section here!

With rules.

And maybe a help video from A_G.

lmao, a help video from A_G :sweat:

Glad I didn't do it since as you say, it would have to have guidelines before doing it ...but i pondered starting a thread with almost that exact title. (just plural "rant" and that was my title)

In vice to that, I also thought about a "I just want to say" topic. For small things that are on your mind that day but not worth a topic by itself.

Well today I did receive the package; but I'm still pissed at Performancebike. If it had been shipped FedEx ground as advertised on their order page it would have been here sooner (probably Monday).

If a company offers standard shipping but reserves the right to ship ground or the slow boat to china based on what's cheapest they should make that 100% clear, especially during the order process.

Of course it stands to reason that their supervisor didn't call me today either. At least I called them again and found out when their supervisors should be available; so they're going to be getting a call from me in the morning, especially since I don't want the item that's on backorder being sent by snail as well.

If they give me too much trouble I most likely will never order from them again

I also found out that even so their headquarters and warehouse are in North Carolina, their call center is in Beckley, WV; so that's why they charged sales tax.

If anyone here is planning on ordering bicycle parts be warned that the standard shipping at performancebike can take a long time.

That said, if it hadn't have been for the sale prices at performancebike I would have ordered at nashbar instead. Nashbar is headquartered here in WV and their warehouse is in Ohio, I had ordered from them before and the items were shipped very quickly; their customer service is also very good, I had purchased a cycle computer that had obviously been opened and didn't work so they promptly exchanged it.

We need to get a "random rant" section here!

Agreed

He would begin the rant "how to video" with a rant about having to make a darn video on "how to rant"

The whole how to rant video would be a nice rant in and of itself.

The first step would probably be: get pissed about something/someone

If I were you I'd take the time to post a review over at ResellerRatings.com

I always take a peek there anytime I'm contemplating an online purchase with a vendor I've never done business with before.

Well I'll definitely look into posting a comment about them on resellerratings.

I had ordered from performancebike in the past but that order was actually sent FedEx Ground. So the only complaint I now have about them is their misrepresented shipping terms and the customer service reps being too blockheaded to understand that. I'm certainly going to put some heat under their asses as well to make it plain that they need to do something in terms of clarifying the shipping options on the order page and/or having the option for FedEx ground as well.

you know guys....

with times changing th e way they are and things going in the typical fashion....

Things are definitely changing from a buying/selling point of view.... companies are all looking to cut cost without sacrificing their bottom dollar...meaning they will cut every corner they can while still putting the same amount of money in their pockets or more...

I have to agree with shipping services starting to suck...but you never know if it's on the shippers end or the companies low-balling the shippers to keep the bottom dollar high....remember money makers are stingy bastards...they want to keep every cent they make even if it mean you not getting your products for a few more days....

A short while Praz mentioned here in this forum about an issue with Neweggs service and I can tell you also I have felt this crap happening....when I 1st started buying from newegg back in 2000 they were a smaller company and would do anything to get you product and shipping was fast and mostly free....

Now that we pay dearly for shipping it's terrible at best....I have seen and watched newegg grow into a corporate monster that seems like any other corporation does in the end.....

Feed off the little guy and help them grow as much as they can and when the do grow huge it's . on the little guy by charging outrageous rates for shipping and make it slow as hail....heck if it's that way i want free-shipping back atleast it was fast....

Of all the stuff I have bought from the egg in all my little years I have only had 2 RMAs and 1 of which was recently....with new site rules it states allow 14 days for returned product of for replacement....well i opted for replacement....8 days later I get an email that says shipped and expected delivery on 1-8-08....it still says "In-Transit"....

I waited my 14 days then called and gave the RMA # and asked just how long does thios in-transit thing last....the nice person said they would ship another and so they did....I get a confirmation email with 3-Day shipping....I had it in 2....from California to Indiana....the RMA's board was coming from NJ.... just makes me think funny thoughts about shipping and sellers.....egads

It almost seems that the first place companies will screw you over is in terms of shipping charges. it really is sorry when companies try to maintain the cost to the consumer and increase profit margins by selling products of inferior quality and/or use the cheapest shipping method possible.

Shipping from newegg has certainly gone downhill over the past 2 yrs since they started offering UPS as their primary carrier; not only does it cost more but it also takes longer. I also remember in the past when you ordered multiple items from them the shipping was less than the total listed for each item, which is no longer the case.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

i agree with dr_bowtie, back when i was into xbox 1 modding, i'd have a wide variety of sites to order from, and they'd be on time, 2 -3 days max, last order was around two weeks wait, i got so pissed off i didn't even bother picking up the package. as well as with customer service, billing or whatever, people are sloppy in general, the website i ordered from, mentioned there is a 15% restocking fee if i didn't pick up the item from the post office, i was never even charged, i don;t mind that of course :D

now days i just get off my butt and march out to a pc shop or wherever for my goods, online shopping is my priority