Replace chipset fan

I’ve always heard that the Evercool is so much quieter than the stock fan, but it sounds almost as loud as the stock fan. Just a different sound.

Are you running the Evercool at maximum RPM's? At lower RPM's the Evercool is dead silent in my old DFI Ultra-D rig. But it definitely gets audible at maximum speed. But to me it's seems more like noise caused by the air being forced through the multiple copper cooling fins than mechanical noise.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you running the Evercool at maximum RPM's? At lower RPM's the Evercool is dead silent in my old DFI Ultra-D rig. But it definitely gets audible at maximum speed. But to me it's seems more like noise caused by the air being forced through the multiple copper cooling fins than mechanical noise.

Well, I don’t know the answer to that. I mentioned the RPM’s in my last post. They went from 5114 down to 2058 RPM’s, and the temp droped about 10C. How would I find out if I’m running the Evercool at maximum RPM's? I have Smartguardian. I looked in there, but wasn’t sure what to do with it. I think I’ve left everything in Smartguardian pretty much alone when I build this rig. It’s always running in the background. I fooled with the controls in Smartguardian, but put them back the way I found them. The RPM’s are now at 2519.

Well your prob right, I never had any issues hearing my chipset fans(stock or evercool) over the other fans in my case. If your going for silent then the passive cooler is the way to go if you have room.

I think if I unplugged the Evercool, my case would go dead silent. The two case fans and the HSF are absolutely silent. I can’t believe how quiet they are.

In your BIOS settings you can adjust the fan speed based on chipset temperatures. Looking at your reported RPM's your fan is running at about 1/2 speed. The VC-RE has a maximum RPM of approximately 5,000 RPM's.

I'm surprised your's is noisy at 1/2 speed. You might have got a lemon.

whats the chipset on 100% temp in bios? if its fully on all the time then that could be your issue. Another way you could tell is looking at the evercool, is it lit up brightly? If so then its running a decent speed. I set mine for 45C max just to help keep my vid card cooler(running my case fans low makes 36C idle on the chipset). But If I set it to 50C max which is very acceptable then there is no lights on the evercool and its silent. With my case fans turned up and 45C max on the chipset it still has no lights on and runs 32C.

In your BIOS settings you can adjust the fan speed based on chipset temperatures. Looking at your reported RPM's your fan is running at about 1/2 speed. The VC-RE has a maximum RPM of approximately 5,000 RPM's.

I'm surprised your's is noisy at 1/2 speed. You might have got a lemon.

I haven’t been into the BIOS since I built this rig in the spring of 2006. Here is a screen shot I took then. Ignore the fan speed you see in the screen shot. Have people gotten Evercool lemons?

61295806.jpg

whats the chipset on 100% temp in bios? if its fully on all the time then that could be your issue. Another way you could tell is looking at the evercool, is it lit up brightly? If so then its running a decent speed. I set mine for 45C max just to help keep my vid card cooler(running my case fans low makes 36C idle on the chipset). But If I set it to 50C max which is very acceptable then there is no lights on the evercool and its silent. With my case fans turned up and 45C max on the chipset it still has no lights on and runs 32C.

See my screen shot above. I haven’t changed a thing since I took the screen shot. Doesn’t look like it’s set to stay on all the time, but it’s been so long since I’ve looked at that stuff, I’ve forgot half of what I learned when I built this rig.

I just opened the case, as I hadn’t even looked in there after I booted it back up yesterday to see what the Evercool looks like in the dark. It’s glowing red and blue, and I think it’s probably enough quieter than the stock fan, that I now notice the other fans more, or maybe the stock fan wasn’t that loud in the first place. At least, I don’t have to worry about the fan dying, and frying the motherboard while I’m not here.