8 gigs of RAM help or hurt Vista 64?

I want to take advantage of the low memory prices like everyone else on here and pick up another two 2 gig modules for Vista 64 so it can have a total of 8 gigs. I know that populating all the memory slots on the mb will make the memory controller work harder. Will the extra 4 gigs of memory make up for this? I am running VMware with multiple OS's running at the same time and need all the memory I can get. I built a system for a friend recently with Vista 64 and notice the his perfect 5.9 across the board Vista performance rating dropped to 5.6 as soon as we went from 4 to 8 gigs of RAM. Thanks for any input.

Yeah, but it's only a hundred bucks or so.

Vista's built in performance check seems to be flawed in any case. For example, for graphics cards it seemed to think more memory was the way to go when comparing a 6800Ultra 512 MB vs. 7900GT 256MB.

For memory it actually DOES seem to take into account the speed that its running at. It is possible that when you added the other sticks the board decided to put it on a steeper divider.

Personally I don't see any reason to go for more if you're getting by now. If I had the money I'd still try it though.

it helps a bunch but only if you box can take 4Gig of ram the best way to do it is by buying 2-2gig stick's I think. 4X1gig sticks can hurt the way my BloodIorn run's Im going to buy some new 2Gig stick's since I found this out. BA

This is hearsay mind you, but I've seen on a thread once a guy that posted loading times with 8GB and 4GB of ram under Vista x64.

The so-called conclusions were:

- timings had to be somewhat loosen, but being a C2Q, it didn't mind - they loosened them by 1-2, nothing important

- Vram had to be raised from 2.0 to 2.1 (G-skill ram? - don't remember)

- Windows loaded a tad slower, 2-3 seconds at boot - nothing important imo

- Massive loading time gains for games, I mean they were divided by 2 to 4, not a mere 10-50% improvement. Everything loaded in under 10 seconds (raptor single HDD).

- Office 07 loaded faster

The tests were under an OS that was installed for a while, and this is what matters the most. Vista tracks the programs U use and loads them into RAM if you have enough. However, it takes a couple of minutes (count a half hour or so) for a 7200rpm single HDD to load up all that ram, so after booting you won't benefit right away from this nice feature. Counting the times you actually used a program, Vista has a "priority list", it loads what U use the most - 8GB are likely to suffice for whatever you need.

You'd find the most benefits if you have the rig mostly on, as Vista has time to fill everything in the ram, if you restart every hour, by the time it caches everything you already restart.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Its like the old DFI/AMD days where 50% of your RAM slots were just decoration. I read alot of posts where 4 x 1gigs or 4 x 2gigs is way more trouble than its worth. The general compromise is 2 x 2Gb sticks for an easy life :) PS do they make 4Gb sticks yet?

Its like the old DFI/AMD days where 50% of your RAM slots were just decoration. I read alot of posts where 4 x 1gigs or 4 x 2gigs is way more trouble than its worth. The general compromise is 2 x 2Gb sticks for an easy life :) PS do they make 4Gb sticks yet?

No, but they make 8 gig sticks

I couldn't find the original place I saw them listed at. Didn't think they were for sale yet, and they didn't look like that. They were twice as tall as a normal stick of ram with twice the chips, at least on one side. Dunno if there were chips on the other.

Edit:

Kingston's webpage only lists up to 4 gig sticks at the moment.

Edit 2:

NVM, I just didn't scroll down far enough. You can even get a two-pack.

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR667D2D4F5K2_16G.pdf

I started with 2x1gb and vista x64 idled at 700MB. i moved to 2x2gb and it idled around 900mb. i finally upgraded to 4x2gb and it now idles around 1.3gb. basically what i'm getting at is vista uses a fixed % of ram to store things you access regularly. so, the more the memory the faster vista runs.

I started with 2x1gb and vista x64 idled at 700MB. i moved to 2x2gb and it idled around 900mb. i finally upgraded to 4x2gb and it now idles around 1.3gb. basically what i'm getting at is vista uses a fixed % of ram to store things you access regularly. so, the more the memory the faster vista runs.

No benchmarks? :)