MB wont detect cd drive

i just got a new setup for my G/F an am2 chip and board but she has an old maxtor 80g hdd and cd burner that both need to run off the same ide cable i have never messed with jumpers on the drives before to set up slave and master, but i set the cd drive as a master by setting the jumper where it was marked for master than setup the maxtor hdd as a slave according to maxtors website you just need to remove all jumpers for it to be the slave.

with that done when i boot the computer it says please select a boot drive?

now her hdd has xp on it already but i was going to do a fresh install but in the bios it sees the hdd as the slave but it does not see any master drive wich is what my cd burner is supposed to be

any thoughts thanks

Not only the preferred way to do it, really the only way to do it.

Boot drive should always be the master.

Even better, put the OS boot drive on it's own cable and channel, and your optical drive on another.

I don't recall ever seeing a HDD that calls for no jumpers for slave. Usually no jumpers is for a single drive on a cable by itself. As the others said, 2 separate cables would be best, but post the model number of the HDD and we'll get ya sorted out.

how can i use a separate cable for each drive when there is only one ide slot on the board?

I did get it figured out, i set the hdd as the master oh and then i plugged the ide cable all the way into the mobo, i cant believe i didnt have it all the way in lol

Thanks peoples