NF4 PCI-E 2.0 Compatiblity issues

Hi guys

I'm currently running an FX-60 with an Asus EAX1950Pro.

I'd like to know what the PCI-Express version is on the SLI-DR.

I'm about to get a Asus EN8800GT Top with is PCI-E 2.0 but apparently with compatibility with PCI-Express 1.1.

Should it work in the SLI-DR ? Is the SLI-DR PCI-E 1.1 or 1.0 ?

Cheers

Paul.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

current generation PCI-e 2.0 cards should be fully compatible with PCI-e 1 boards as long as you use the extra power connector; this may not be the case with future cards though.

The main change in the PCI-e 2.0 specs is that they requite full x16 bandwidth on the GFX slots as well the the capability of delivering double the power through the slot.

so i keep hearing that the PCIe 2.0 cards dont work on PCIe 2.0 motherboards.

i e-mailed DFI and they told me that my mobo is PCIe 1.0a and that they dont have any PCIe 2.0 cards to use to test if they work on the motherboard or not.

i was just wondering if anyone has the board i have and has tried putting on a PCIe 2.0 card on it and see if it works or not.

thanks.

PCIe 2.0 is completely backward compatible with PCIe v1.x, so graphic cards and motherboards designed for v2.0 will be able to work with v1.0 and vice versa.[3] According to Anandtech:

The transition to PCIe 2.0 won't be anything like the move from AGP to PCIe. The cards and motherboards are backwards and forwards compatible. PCIe 1.0 and 1.1 compliant cards can be plugged into a PCIe 2.0 motherboard, and PCIe 2.0 cards can be plugged into older motherboards. This leaves us with zero impact on the consumer due to PCIe 2.0, in more ways than one.

Copied from wikipedia