NF4 PCI-E 2.0 Compatiblity issues

Hi guys

The new PCI-E v2 cards will work on the DFI SLI-DR etc. I have an EVGA 8800GT KO running fine as said. There are rumours that future ones may not have backward compatibility - so in the months to come you'll have to check.

What is clear though is that whilst these cards may not need the full x16 bandwidth, they will not (according to the docs - I've not checked) run in an 8x slot.

So ... you can probably have an SLI rig with 2x 8800GTX each running happily in 8x slots ... but you CANNOT have 2 x 8800GTs because they will see they are in an 8x slot and error.

If you are looking at doing SLI on these boards (that only support 1 16x or 2 8x) you CANNOT use 2 x 8800.

I have one as mentioned, with an FX-60 and 2GB and I get just under 10,000 on 3DMark06 which seems like a really good result for an single card AMD rig. The only significantly faster rigs I've seen have been SLI ...

I think the later Intel based boards also make a difference but the FX-60 seems to be up there from the 3DMark06 point view.

I'd be interested to see what sort of 3DMark06 figures anyone with a GTS, GTX or Ultra have.

Cheers

Paul.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I read the following on Wikipedia:

"Shortly after the release [of the 8800GT], an incompatibility issue with older PCI Express 1.0a motherboards was unmasked. When using the PCI Express 2.0 compliant 8800GT in motherboards with PCI Express 1.0a slots, the card would not produce any display image, but the computer would often boot (with the fan spinning at a constant 100%)...When it was revealed that the G92 8800GT and 8800GTS 512Mb were going to be designed with PCI Express 2.0 connections, NVIDIA claimed that all cards would have full Backwards-Compatibility, but they completely failed to mentioned that this was only true for PCI Express 1.1 motherboards."

I got my Lanparty right after it was released (early 2005). Does anyone know, or is there a way to tell, if the PCIe slots are 1.1 or 1.0a? I can't find it anywhere in my documentation or on the DFI page for this board, and CPU-Z doesn't specify.

Thanks in advance!

this will teach me to jump the gun without doing my research first...

i have been trying to get 2 8800 gt's to work in sli on my Expert mobo, but to no avail. vista does recognise that both cards are there, and teh nvidia control panel allows me to select to run them in SLI however, GPU-Z confirms that SLI is disabled.

im not sure what bios version im running right now, honestly im not even sure ive ever flashed this mobo. but if there is a bios update or some other fix to allow me to use both of my 8800 gt's on this please let me know. it feels like such a waste to have an extra video card thats not doing anything in my system.

The true way to determine that SLI is enabled is with a benchmarking tool; if SLI is working properly you'll notice significantly higher 3Dmarks than with a single card.

I just checked with the latest GPU-Z on my rig running XP X64 and for both graphics cards it shows the SLI status as "Disabled (SLI available)".

i have used 3dmark06 and i end up with teh exact same score with with sli enabled in teh nvidia control panel. i have found some information regarding using nibitor to edit and flash the cards bios to pcie 1.1 but im hoping that there is another way.. i dont want to brick my video cards. if not i guess i'll be doing more major upgrading sooner than i thought.