I still dont get overclocking

Hello there! Been a while since I was here last time.

I recently became very interested in clocking my Opteron 170 2ghz.

This is a screenie of my CPU-z: http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/6903/nu...ndedatorqp7.jpg

I've read the guide on this page, and several other pages, but all the abbrevations, numbers, different examples using other machines compared to nf4 is just too much for me.

My goal is to learn overclocking basics for MY specific machine, and then learn how to increase the clocking without not knowing what to do.

I've scratched my head for days and I still do NOT dare to enter the BIOS to actually change anything.

One problem is that people say that you should set as much as possible to NOT be on AUTO, but to it's actual value, and most of the time, Im not sure what to set it to.

This is what I think I've gathered now, reading a few different FAQ's and guides, including the one on this site:

In order to clock my CPU, I should/need to(?) overclock the RAM as well.

I enter the BIOS and change the FSB from 200, to lets say 240.

I then change the Vcore from my current value of 1.312, to lets say 1.35.

Then I change my HTT Multi from x5 to x3.

This will put my HTT @ 240x2(ddr) = 480 x 3 (multi) = 1440

Then go to DRAM-settings and increase the timings as well as the FSB, preferably keeping 1:1, by lets say 10-20mhz.

Then run tests for perhaps 24h or so.

Am I at all close to doing this right?

The mainquestion for me is still that I don't actually SEE that I'm clocking it, considering all this HTT-calculating; "keep within 1200-1800 and you will be fine." and like I calculated above

"This will put my HTT @ 240x2(ddr) = 480 x 3 (multi) = 1440".. wouldn't that just put my Mhz to 1440, instead of my original 2000?

I am truly sorry for being so bad at this and to your time with this, but I really want to learn it, and Im too much of a wuss to just go pushing buttons and see if stuff happens.

The scariest moment of my life was still when I built my first computer, just because I was doing stuff I didn't know what it was, giving me a fried mobo :)

I would really appreciate some inputs on this and some guidelines/steps to follow. Just perhaps give me an example of what to change in certain orders. Like a really modest clocking that can't really screw anything up.

Regards

/Daniel

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an update: I tried to do some clocking on my own since no one has responded yet.

I made the following settings:

HTT 3x

FSB 210mhz

Multiple 9x

RAM: timings changed to 4-4-4-10

Rebooted and the mobo started beeping in intervalls..

I took out the battery to reset, and here I am posting about my failure lol.

Daniel,

If you would create a hardware sig. we could assist you better. We need to know everything about your rig.

Motherboard

BIOS revision

Memory

CPU

etc.

Then we can really help you out.

Cheers.

Hello,

@ first make sure you have a decent cooling. (i don't want to get the blame if you burn your cpu)

Set your memdivider to 1:2. This to make sure it doesn't get maxed out on you FSB.

(Don't change any timings.)

You can set the HTT to 4 if you stay under a 250 MHz FSB.

Then increase your FSB by 5 MHz. And see if you can boot into windows. If it does... increase it again by 5. If it doesn't take 5% of your (total) FSB. And try to boot again. Or you can up your V-core a little bit.

But try to get as far as possible @ stock V-core

I presume you use stock cooling, so I shouldn't go above 1.4 - 1.45 V

And watch your temps!!!!!

Yeah i have the zalman 9700 or higher.. dont remember..

computer-"wise" im not a noob, but this is something I've really never understood =) built my own rigs for about 8 years or so.

One thing, about the memdividers, they aren't called 1:2 in my bios, 01/01 etc. I assume 01/02 would be the same thing then =)

To doublecheck. The HTT is "ltd/fsb" and the mutli is "cpu/fsb" right?

And by doing what you just said, I shouldnt change the multi from 10 to anything else?

Regards, and I sincerely apologize for being such a newbcake :P

Heres an example to get you started. It is very tame and you shouldn't have any problems running (but as already stated keep an eye on your temperatures).

[color=red][b]
Genie BIOS Settings:

FSB Bus Frequency.............................  -  260
LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio.......................  -  3
CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio.......................  -  10
PCI eXpress Frequency.........................  -  105MHZ

CPU VID StartUp Value.........................  -  1.425v

CPU VID Control...............................  -  1.325
CPU VID Special Control.......................  -  110%
LDT Voltage Control...........................  -  1.30v 
Chip Set Voltage Control......................  -  1.50v
DRAM Voltage Control..........................  -  2.80v

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set............................  -  200=RAM/FSB:01/01
Command Per Clock (CPC).......................  -  Enable 
CAS Latency Control (Tcl).....................  -  2.5
RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd).....................  -  3
Min RAS# active time (Tras)...................  -  5
Row precharge time (Trp)......................  -  3
Row Cycle time (Trc)..........................  -  12 Bus Clocks
Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)...................  -  24 Bus Clocks
Row to Row delay (Trrd).......................  -  03 Bus Clocks
Write recovery time (Twr).....................  -  03 Bus Clocks
Write to Read delay (Twtr)....................  -  02 Bus Clocks
Read to Write delay (Trwt)....................  -  03 Bus Clocks
Refresh Period (Tref).........................  -  3120 Cycles
DRAM Bank Interleave..........................  -  Enabled

DQS Skew Control..............................  -  Auto
DQS Skew Value................................  -  Auto
DRAM Drive Strength...........................  -  Auto
DRAM Data Drive Strength......................  -  Auto
Max Async Latency.............................  -  8
DRAM Response Time............................  -  normal
Read Preamble Time............................  -  6.0
IdleCycle Limit...............................  -  256 Cycles
Dynamic Counter...............................  -  Enabled
R/W Queue Bypass..............................  -  16 x
Bypass Max....................................  -  07 x
32 Byte Granularity...........................  -  Disable(4 Bursts)
[/color][/b]

If you can't get a boot, stability or pass stress testing at these settings, then you'll need to relax your primary memory timings a little bit, or consider using the 180 memory divider (9:10).

At the above settings your cpu will be running at 2.60 ghz (FSB Bus X CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio).

Your memory will be running at 260 (520mhz effective) if you're able to keep it at 200 (aka 1:1).

Thank you for that input.

I read the guide once more and it's starting to come together a bit more now.

What I did was to set the LDT to 3x, FSB to 220mhz and memdividers to 1/2.

This gave me 2200mhz, HTLINK @ 880mhz and my CPU multi still at stock 10x.

When Im reading the guide, I gather that I am to increase the FSB to a degree where I cant boot windows, then increase CPU VID a bit to see if it becomes stable again.

When I've found a CPU-clock Im happy with, after doing massive testing ofc, is to go for the ram to clock.

Then, as a safetyprocedure before putting the dividers back to 1/1, is to lower the multi to i.e. 7x, which would, or otherwise the FSB-Frequency times my original multi might damage my RAMs, am I right? Since they will be running @ the same speed as the CPU / HTT.

I am not sure Im remembering the BIOS right, so I won't ask anything more until I've rebooted. Hold on, if you are reading right now =)

Oh I think im getting it.

After finishing clocking the CPUclocking and moving over to RAM.

Lets say I have HTT/FSB @ 260 with HT3x, I lower Multi to 7, memdiv to 1/1 and still the "FSB" Im going to try to max out is the same "260" as I was doing before? I hope Im right. I was under the impression that there were to separate "FSB's" to increase, one for the CPU and one for the RAM in the DRAM config.

Now that I rebooted I see that there is no such thing in the DRAM config.

Then I try to find the maximum capacity of the RAM by increasing the frequency in the same way as the CPU.

Then I move on to the part with "Lets say your CPU maxed out at 2800mhz with its default multi of 12x.. But your ram maxes out at 250mhz..

12x 233 = 2796MHz .. That will work and get you closer to the max of your CPU. And running the ram little slower then the max you found before to achieve the higher CPU MHz might also allow you to tighten up the ram timings a little.

Now there is always the option to use a divider for your ram which will get you closer to your CPU and RAM’s max....

10(CPU multi) x 278(HTT) = 2780mhz (CPU speed)

If you use a 910 divider with this config…

278 10 x 9 = 250mhz (mem speed)"

Sorry for typing so much . in here, but Im actually learning more when Im copy-pasting and re-reading it rofl :P

Have anything I've said not made sense so far? Do I seem to misunderstand anything? =)

Yes,

You are getting the hang of it. Your memory frequency is locked with your FSB Bus when you are running 1:1, hence the need to sometimes use a divider on the memory to keep it at a stable frequency. The ONLY way to change the memory frequency on your board is by increasing / decreasing the FSB Bus or via the memory multiplier change.

Gogar created a nifty A64 calculator, but for some reason his website appears to be down right now.

Don't be afraid to use a memory divider if needed. CPU CLOCKS ARE KING. The socket 939 platform loves low memory latencies, so no harm in running your memory at, slightly above or slightly below it's rated speed if you can keep your nice tight timings.

One thing that Im curious about however is in CPU-z, it says that my stats are:

Core speed 1610mhz

Multi 7x

Bus Speed: 230mhz

HT Link: 920mhz

Using memdiv @ 1/1

following the guide still.

I've read somewhere that you should let the HT Link be below 1ghz and that if you go above it, you will probably not be able to boot.

What I've done now is downclock my CPU but clock my RAM (560mhz according to CPU-Z)

How do I go above 2000mhz again and not break the 1000mhz HT-link limit?

It's kinda confusing because in the guide, it says that you can stay between 1200-1800, and the standardsetting was 1000mhz unclocked. :P

U deserve a prize for standing me still dude =)