Gts 640mb

Darkorb

yeah; the only reason I pulled my coolers was to mount the waterblocks; they're actually machined to allow the use of AS5 on the RAM; so the only places I had to put thermal tape (non-silver based ones provided with the blocks) was on the PWMICs and Vregs.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because what I've read on evga's site and what the staff tell me, the gtx has an ultra core. The ultra's have better coolers on them because they run hotter. Like i said, I'm going to try to reach those speeds, but with stock cooling, I don't know how they will hold up.

I'm probably not going to reach those speeds and have the card stable, just a little lower. But I guess I'm just used to tearing all my stuff apart and using AS5 on it. I've always gotten better results from doing so. Even on my old nf3 250gb board, that chipset got hot @ 2.7v up from stock 2.6. i had the evercool re on there with AS5 and it was very stable and edge of sink was lukewarm to the touch running prime.

Like i said, I'm going to play it by ear. If ii starts getting too hot with a small oc, i'm rippin' the stock cooler off and puting AS5 on everthing. I'll call 1st and make sure it's safe to use the silver on everthing. If not I'll have to order the best stupid pads i can find. Rad, how thick is that tape you're talking about...will it bridge the gap between the ram and cooler?

I wish someone else would make a heatpipe cooler that more custom fits these cards. I don't like the thermaltake thng because it blows all the hot air inside your pc.

And they give you crap aliminum heatsinks. I want copper.

Thanks Rad..you've used these and they work good? no silver in them though right? do you know if it safe to put silver on the voltage reg? Is 5mm enough to bridge that gap? Sorry for so many questions...heh.

Just up the fan speed and your fine man, have good airflow and you won't NEED to do it.

I got 2 92mm intake fans, and my fan on 60%, i have a A3 core on my GTS, i can get it up to 670/1800/2150, thats the MAXX, its not stable at that

Thanks Rad..you've used these and they work good? no silver in them though right? do you know if it safe to put silver on the voltage reg? Is 5mm enough to bridge that gap? Sorry for so many questions...heh.

No silver in there. If you're gonna keep the stock cooler then the thermal tape is also needed on the RAM chips; I wouldn't use paste to bridge a large gap. The RAM and the Vregs probably don't produce that much heat that they'd warrant the silver.

It's quite likely that the core already has a silver TIM on it; so I'd say, unless you're gonna use a different sink (or mount a waterblock) just leave it as it is and bump the fan speed as darkorb already mentioned.

When I called evga, they said there is no silver in the compound they use for the core, or anything. I guess i should be ok, with 4 120mm fans on it like dark orb said, and i'll configure the fan settings with riva tuner like i have now. I wonder if I'll have to re-install drivers for the gtx. I think it uses the same ones this card uses. When i go to nvidia's driver page it's got the 8800 series driver listed, and i have the latest one, 163.

Ok, I'll leave well enough alone. I just like AS5 so much that I'm not comfortable with anything else for thermal compound. It's the best, and i like the best. :rolleyes:

Are you gonna try and clock the living hell out of it?

Lol...the guys at evga (more than one) told me this card has an ultra core, and has a lot of headroom for overclocking. Radodrill flashed the bios on his cards, and i can do the same thing to get ultra speeds, but i don't know if the cooling will allow me to get as high as i would like.

The ultra have better cooling, one reason being they demand a lot more power, but the gtx i want takes 2 power connectors also, but not as much as the ultra's. I will take it as high as it can go while keeping reasonable temps during stress testing. I want to keep it stable, but utilize it to it's full potential.

I just got done reading this guide on ocing the 8800's and it looks pretty good. To CMA, I'm not recommending anybody to do this, it's just something i might do.

I want a gtx. it has 768mb of memory, a 386 bit memory bus, better and faster shaders and i can really oc it. Dam it, i was setting up 1/2life ep2 settings, and it crashed to desktop 3 times. I just click on the icon in the tollbar at the bottom and it comes right back up, but a minute later, bam! crashes again.

I'm tempted to step-up to the gtx tomorrow if this crap keeps happening.

Is that the one you're trying to sell? Not that i want it, just curious.

I'm pretty much cornered into stepping up program anyway, as if i bought another card, this one would be useless. I would have to sell it, and i can get full price difference stepping up.