The Torrent application out there

stinkpot

I missed an episode of the Sopranos and thought Id get back up to speed by DOING SOMETHING THAT IS NOT ALLOWED TO BE DISCUSSED ON THIS FORUM, well I got the torrent and downloaded it and it was a terrible excuse for a video file that I couldnt even watch so I deleted it. Now I use a Linksys router at max security level plus a software firewall set to block all intrusion attempts with a strict application list and my Anti Virus. 2 weeks later I get a nasty email from my ISP saying that If I ever DO SOMETHING THAT IS NOT ALLOWED TO BE DISCUSSED ON THIS FORUM with utorrent again the authorities will be informed and my service terminated. Thats when I found out about PeerGuardian..lol

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't run Azureus because it runs on Java which takes up way too much RAM for what it does. When I run Azureus it has over a 100mb memory foot print. If you also look at the java executable running it's also sucking up a bunch of RAM. uTorrent is nice and light.

I will jump on the bandwagon and also say uTorrent, but before you run it get get PeerGuardian 2 and get the blocklist named "Level 1" from www.bluetack.co.uk or every company on earth will be able to see what you are downloading. Privacy is your right.

Hey Branjo, those lists are from over a year ago... but there's a 14MB list at:

http://www2.openmedia.info:8080/p23.html

Updated on 15 September, that has Level 1, Level 2, Microsoft, Spyware, Government, Education and worms.. also a smaller one designed for simple p2p protection... It's amazing how many PG starte blocking when I started using it... lol... now over 2.8 billion IPS being blocked

lol oops my bad :D, thanks for the new lists Source

EDIT: Ok I think that list may be overkill, I can't even get into google lol

EDIT2: But yahoo is ok, hmmm maybe google is not your friend.

I dont see the point in the PeerGuardian if you are not doing anythink illegal. Could you give me some light on it? I dont use torrent's all that much, so I dont know.

P.S. When I do use a torrent I use uTorrent.

Regardless of whether you are doing anything illegal or not, what you do with your computer is your business and should be kept private. All of the information is looked at and not just for illegal activity..

So someone is looking at what Im doing with torrent's that im downloading? Like what type of file, program, and if its legal? Thats BS! :mad: What type of people/ companies are watching me? Now Im all flustered by that! I dont like somone looking in my window let alone my computer activitys. I can see the point of the PeerGuardian. And just so you know I DONT ENGAGE IN ANY ILLEGAL ACTIVITYS!

Microsoft for one... AOL/Time Warner for two...

Branjo... yeah, I didn't realise that before I posted... I think Google is listed in the Ads part... I went through and deleted all the google IPs from the list and it's ok for me now :-)

You can also right click on each google entry in your blocked list and permanently allow that IP...

It's kinda scary some of the IPs that have come up as blocked... especially all the Bogon IPs... I'm sure some of them are Legit and just not recognised as having been assigned to a new ISP, but I doubt this many have!