SLI-DR what's best cpu & 2x1gig memory

Guest jazzy_merged

Hi everyone,

these time, i'm browsing thru internet cause i need new memory stick, my old OCZ gold rev.3 always get me in trouble. So as i read, it seems that in the class of 2x1gig, those with bh-5 and uccc chip are the best bet, but the same chip sold by 3 differents company does work the same right, it seem also that DFI board does like all memory(compatibility issue), and man, i can't find store that sell those specific ram. What do you think...

And trough my browsing, i've noticed that my lanparty ut sli-dr is compatible with opteron and a64x2???(that's what happen when you don't follow actuallity, hehe). Anyone of you can light me up on this, plz. It's intersting, but with all rev.on cpu, it's tough to get up to date, i just want more performance (if it's worth the bucks), but stability and compatibility is more important than the big bench number.

And also, what's the technical reason of A62 X2 being for home workstation and opteron for servers..??

This forum is the best :) Cheers

Thanks...

Might be cheaper to go AM2 for you rather than buy new RAM and CPU, unless you can find a good deal in the FS section. Opterons are supposed to be made of better silicon, but the X2's seem to be good too, never owned one of those though.

Guest drteming

Any socket 939 processors should run on the Lanparty boards although the Opteron series chips are not officially supported by DFI due to the rules set by AMD. Since you have the most recent official BIOS, the X2 chips are also supported.

I didn't know there were bh-5 based 1 GB memory modules??

Infineon CE's are good, see my sig. Both OCZ kits have them.

I don't know what's available in Canada. A quick look at NCIX's website revealed that their prices are crazy high compared to newegg, especially now the Canadian dollar is almost at parity with the US dollar.

Ncix is not good for pricing, and neweeg sadly don't ship in Canada...

And if you look at supported cpu on my DFI board spec on DFI site, it clearly say that opteron is supported, anyway. Why would'nt they officially support opteron, why AMD did opteron socket 939?? Between X2 and opteron, what makes it technically different other than one is for server??

About bios, i'm going to try 704-bta since i have problem with my hynix chip, does it supported as well the X2 cpu???

And also, what's the technical reason of A62 X2 being for home workstation and opteron for servers..??

The Opterons always have 1Mb L2 caches, while only some X2's have it. They are subjected to more stringent testing at AMD as they are qualified for server duty.

Hi Jazzy I also live in a country where its hard to get good parts for p.c. I went to E-BAY check it out. Got my Opty 152 there (e-bay u.k) I have my socket 939 just over 3G runs all games @ high or better max temps on air around 50c.

So zackio, you don'T have any problem running games right, caus it seems that some opteron user have no stability issue regarding all the test benchmark, but they play games for 1hr and system crash...I wonder if this is a problem for most opteron user, and since AMD don't recommended it for DFI board, maybe it's related, by the way is it only with DFI that's not recommended, or is it with all skt939 board, and if it's all the skt939 board, why bother to make skt939 opteron cpu???

i'd say go for c2d, if you are having to buy new ram and cpu... the only thing extra you'd need for a c2d system is a mobo (can be had for around $120 US). With ricidulously low RAM prices and cpu prices, there isn't really a point in buying a new 939 cpu and ram... JMHO

i'd say go for c2d, if you are having to buy new ram and cpu... the only thing extra you'd need for a c2d system is a mobo (can be had for around $120 US). With ricidulously low RAM prices and cpu prices, there isn't really a point in buying a new 939 cpu and ram... JMHO

I second this motion....lol but seriously with the price of ddr1 these days you are better off going with a system that uses ddr2.

I second this motion....lol but seriously with the price of ddr1 these days you are better off going with a system that uses ddr2.

Yeah i know the price, right now i'm waiting RMA of my memory (anybody had ever received different set of memory by this process??)

So for me right now, 1 cpu at 180$ or

1 mobo+ddr2+cpu= over450$

I'm not the kind of guy who change system every year, i just want to get the max of what i have, so with opteron 175 @ 2,6-2,7ghz(and maybe over if i'm lucky), i think it's not bad, if socket 939 was died 5 years ago, i would change my rig, but right now, it still perform well, not in benchmark of course, but in every days use, i mean i don't have any problem running BF2...

$450? I think we can do better than that....

cpu = $121.99

ram = $99 ($74 after rebate)

mobo = 129.99

That comes out to $350.98 before rebates and shipping. See I shaved a hundred bucks off lol

You could also get a little cheaper with some different choices but that would be a real nice setup.