Overclocking my X2

Hi,

I got a reply from RGone @DFI-Club. The chipset temp range should be kept between 45-65°C. It appears that your motherboard's chipset is like most...rated @90°C or perhaps even higher.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes. The memory sticks will be written to and read faster than stock. What you must remember is that, as Angry_Games has said all along, CPU speed is king. Your memory sticks can be running way under 400 Mhz while your CPU is at perhaps 3 Ghz.

The settings you are trying out on your memory sticks are your search for system stability with the positive result of increased CPU speed.

You must raise the HTT bus speed while keeping your HT Link bus speed as close to 1000 as possible. With the HTT bus speed being raised by, for arguments sake, 5mhz at a time, your CPU speed will increase. Each time you raise the speed you must test your system for stability. Since your CPU is a dual-core one..your stability test, Orthos stress prime, must be run with two instances of the blend option. You can find detailed instructions on the use of Orthos in the DIY-Street forums in the AMD overclocking thread section.

I strongly suggest you read the overclocking explanations to get a clear picture of what is entailed and how it is accomplished. What you must have is an understanding of how your computer system works.

The information(data) is passed back and forth between the memory, the CPU and the different system busses to the hard drives, the video system, keyboard, mouse, Onboard NIC , wireless network cards and whatever else you have for input/output devices.

The BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is your means of setting up and controlling some aspects of your chipset and peripherals.

A block diagram might very well be your key to understanding how it works. The chipset your motherboard has onboard, essentially works the same way most other chipsets do. The chipset , divided into Northbridge and Southbridge (sometimes both on the same chip) are the interface between your CPU, Memory and all of the peripherals connected to your motherboard through the BIOS.

You see..I have no idea of what your level of understanding of computer systems is. There are concepts you are going to have to grasp in order to successfully over clock your system to its potential.

I will post links to articles on your motherboard as I find them but you will have to do much of the legwork and all of the reading required. It is, after all, up to you.

ok..well which is it? Memory timings or your CPU multiplier settings? you will have to isolate the problem by leaving memory timings or the CPU multiplier/FSB at stock settings then raising the one you have chosen to test.

OK...try setting most of your memory settings at auto and CPC at 2T... You can let your mobo do a lot of the work. After that you can go back to playing with the HTT/FSB Bus speed by bumping it up 5mhz at a time until it won't boot into windows. Go back to the earlier posts in the thread re-read them and continue your progress.

There is no easy way to do this if you really want to overclock :)