Overclocking my X2

Ok well I have my X2 3800+ running at 2.4GHz @ 1.375V and everything is good. But I can't get past that. I tried 2.5GHz at 1.4, 1.425, 1.45, 1.475 and nothing works. Haven't tried 1.5 but is that really the problem? I also underclocked my RAM to a lower divider just to make sure the extra 8MHz was the culprit. I wonder, is it possible that I could be limited because my chipset isn't being cooled effeciently? The white bolt that holds it down broke, so I had to pull it the other way so it would get caught on the motherboard. Maybe it isn't connecting fully?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good, because you really shouldn't have to bump your vcore just to get to 2.4. My 3800+ X2 will run up to 2.6 at stock voltage - it's been running at 2.5Ghz/1.325V for a few months now without issues.

If you're running 2X1Gb sticks, you might want to try changing your ram to 3-4-4-8. I'm running 1-1 at those settings. with stock volts without any problem.

Do I understand your post right, that your chipset cooler is only held down on one side? What kind of temps are you getting for the chipset?

No it's held down on both sides, but on one of the sides the white bolt that's holding it down is broken, so I am not sure if it fully down all the way.

Ok Orthos stable for ~ 9 hours at 2.4GHz on stock volts. Going to try for 2.5GHz

Weird ok I tried everything for 2.5GHz, 3-4-4-8 timings at DDR415, got BSOD, brought down to DDR333 still got BSOD, nudged the vcore up a little (1.375) got BSOD AGAIN and then went up to vcore 1.4V ran for a little then just reboot. Not sure what's the problem.

But when I went back to put it on 2.4GHz on stock volts, it also rebooted in Windows! That really pissed me off, so right now I'm back at stock.

Getting about 40C on stock 2.0GHz while others are around 27C. Could this be the problem?

Nope, anything I do at 2.5GHz doesn't work. And then when I tried for 2.4GHz at stock, Orthos went for 8hours, little later when I was browsing the web after it was finished, what do you know, my computer reboots. I'm back at stock. Maybe this mATX motherboard isn't made for overclocking? Am I missing anything?