Overclocking my X2

yep..and that means you must up the FSB a few mhz to speed up your cpu. now you can find your max FSB.. bring the FSB up say 5 mhz at a time and see if it is stable..if stable and you want to find out how fast your cpu will go then bump it up some more. Overclocking is a slow process that requires some patience and note taking. Use Excel or a piece of note paper to find out which settings work and which ones don't.. That is Overclocking. If you read the Definitive AMD Overclocking Guide that is the gist of what it will tell you. It is seriously worth taking the time to read. Refer to it and other pearls of Overclocking wisdom on the vast sea of forums in the Internet (that profess to be the best in the world) as you become more skilled. It won't happen overnight :)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad. You can bump it up higher!! Try putting your FSB up at jumps of 5 mhz. Just see if it will boot into windows. when youget the CPU speed up to @2.5-2.6 GHZ That will be your 24/7 norm. Your mobo won't be much warmer than it is now. I managed 3.11 GHZ on my system yesterday with nine hours of Orthos stability testing.

I would expect you should be able to push yours up to @ 290 to 300...if not better. In CPU-z..the SPD tab...what chips does it report on your memsticks?

That will let you know how well your DDRAM responds to voltage.

regards,

eric

in CPU-z there is an SPD tab. All of the memory I have used shows a part number in that tab. Can you show me a screenshot of of your CPU-z --> CPU TAB?

You can also try dropping the HT Link multiplier down to 3 and then see what you can get out of your sticks using the same process that you have been using..

I do expect that your memsticks are the problem. High grade sticks really make a difference..you can buy used stick through the for sale threads here on the Street.

What is the stepping on your 3800 X2? some steppings perform better than others.

cheers,

Eric

Can you use the above one? Why would I move the multiplier lower? wouldn't that give me an HT link of around 800MHz when you want it around 1000MHz? I'd have to look on the CPU for the stepping I believe? Also, not sure about the memsticks, I have no money right now, so unless someone wants to trade with me, that isn't going to happen :(

Ok..When you put the HT link multiplier to 3 and leave your CPU multi to 9 you then have room to overclock your FSB. Your memsticks are then put on a divider and they run at a slower frequency. That is how you can overcome the limitations of your memory sticks, although not all memory sticks have the same overclocking potential.

The ballpark figure of 1000 means that when you are raising your FSB and/or increasing your multipliers that you should keep an eye on it because above 1000 most systems become unstable. Changing the HT Link multiplier is not generally how one gets to the 1000 figure. That is done by upping the FSB and shooting for a good overclock, as we have been doing.

if you look at my entry in the overclocking section you will see that my system is stable even way higher than 1000. But then my CPU is an Opteron...a server CPU made for commercial systems. That is the resaon Opterons are desirable and so overclockable. The 4200+ X2 on my DFI board is much more or a finicky beast.

Overclocking is not easy and not simple.. You must have patience... Now it could be that your memory stick timings are not optimal. That was the reason I wanted a part number from your memory sticks. Armed with that info, research online is possible to find out what the optimal settings are. You are running at 2T Command rate?

If what I have said is not clear please let me know and I will rephrase it.

No, they are running at 1T. I understand that, I just figured that you wanted it around 1000MHz, and since 60MHz over is closer than 300MHz under, made more sense to keep it at x4.

Another problem I am having is whenever I try to revert back to my old overclock (ex. the one that went for 19 hours orthos stable) my computer randomly reboots. It seems I can only go foward and if that fails, I have to go back to stock to get rid of the reboots, then I can try all over again. That doesn't seem normal does it?