Which Opti?

I'm not sure which Deul Core Opteron I should buy for My 939 board, I want to get to 3gigs. So which one should I buy to save the most money but still be able to clock just a high. Or which one overclocks the most, Opteron 165?,170,?175?180?185? Thank you :) :-) Hoping I will get better performance with intense Rts and Rpg games.

Sorry, I had to validate your thread since this was your first post. I deleted the other one, welcome to the forum. :)

As to your question, there really isn't much reason to get anything higher than an Opteron 165 or 170, they're cheaper and for the most part overclock the same. Look for the right steppings though, some are better than others and 3GHz isn't easy unless you get real lucky.

I just took delivery of a 170 from neweg and the stepping is LCBQE for 115: dollars. Ive only had it for a copple hour's and at 1.36 vcore im running at 2800

Mhz. Ive never seen a cpu go this far on so little voltage. 311X9=2799 133membuss end's up at 413Mhz memory and a 933 HT. The 165's are alittle under a hundred and the 170 are alittle over. My biggest prob is that i am running 36-37 or so at idel at 1.360 as long as I dont have to raise the vcore any more Ill be happy. This has got to be the best OCer 939 chip Ive ever had

and only need a good video card to do Vista and finish this 939 box. BA

EDIT--Opty locked up after running 12hrs at 100% with Ortho's and 6hrs' at normal running. Im working on it but it is still a good processor for the money.

A new dual core has a different memory controller than your previous cpu( that will mean your RAM timings for you current cpu will have to be re-tested with your new cpu all over again).

Nothing really will be different as far as how you go about overclocking one.