A camera called RED

soundx98

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundx98 View Post

Theater Owners are already talking about restaurants with decent food you can take in to munch on, reservations, drinks, and technology to prevent cell phones from ringing.

I read not too long ago that some company had come up with a paint that had certain properties which could block cell phone signals. The article was talking about how theatres could use this to help control cell phone usage during movies.

Both this and the Qzone mentioned by soundx98 have both been discussed by theatre owners but they are still not 100% on the legalities of it. Say if a doctor or some other type of emergency personnels pagers don't go off.

Oh and Last week I saw a midnight showing of Vanishing Point as mentioned in Deathproof. It had to have been the most scratched copy they could find for the hipsters and GrindHouse crowd. Despite the scratches it was great flick with plenty of T&A, minimal talking from the protagonist and Tons of Hard Driving. While HD is great I still like checking out the classics at the theater when I can.

i know there is some theaters where they have waitresses and waiters and a full menu of food.

They seem to work pretty well, you just have to control the timing.

I agree, need better movies though.

Sounds cool though. I wish our (mine and carl's) theater was nicer.

We've got a theatre in STL where they serve alcohol and you sit in leather arm chairs :)

Both this and the Qzone mentioned by soundx98 have both been discussed by theatre owners but they are still not 100% on the legalities of it. Say if a doctor or some other type of emergency personnels pagers don't go off.

I've heard something similar, I guess I feel that people expecting (or could reasonably expect) an important call should not be in a theater in the first place.

Otherwise yeah, I'm game for higher resolution movies. But yeah, I want GOOD movies to watch. I don't mind paying a surplus for it by any means, but it better be quality if I'm splurging for it.

ugh, borat is a priceless expression of exactly why I don't go to movies. Utter nonsense. Just like 300's raping of actual history (not to mention I've seen better cut-scenes in video games when it comes to plot and story).

The last Star Wars movie...and remember I was 5 when Star Wars hit the theater, and from then on while growing up, everything was Star Wars, including hundreds of the action figures, big ship toys, even the Death Star, so when the 4th movie premiered and I saw it, I was almost enraged at how stupid it was compared to the original 3, and then the 5th came out and I realized that either Star Wars the original stuff was so utterly stupid that I must be retarded and living in fantasy when I remember how great it was, or that these 3 new movies were going to be utter trash because George Lucas was not only an idiot, but a egomaniacal schizoid, and ALL of that was confirmed when we went to the biggest, best, newest theater to see the last Star Wars movie. My brother and I were enraged for days...to this day, you just don't mention Star Wars around us.

It's like finding out your favorite uncle, who was your best buddy and took you fishing and all kinds of great stuff, turned out to be a rapist who tortured children when he wasn't raping.

I'm very excited by carl's info about this new tech, but I'm not excited about the huge amount of sewage spewing out of Hollywood these days. About every 3 years though, a really really good movie comes along. The Machinist was great. LotR and Narnia were great (they DID live up to my expectations from the books that I read and re-read growing up). The Departed was classic Scorsese (however you spell it).

You know what I REALLY want?

My brother, momma, and I have been raptly watching this series on Discovery HD on his new 55" 1080p set (of course DirecTV is a . HD signal but at least decent!) called "Planet Earth"

If you haven't checked this out, please, do so. Especially if you grew up loving the nature shows where they showed you bugs, plants, lots of lions hunting down those damn dirty gazelles lol, etc.

And especially if you can get it in HD (they show it on regular Discovery). I won't even try to explain what it is, because you'd probably think it wouldn't be worth it to sit around and watch 10+ hours of incredible HD nature stuff that spans as much of the earth and it's ecosystems as possible. (oops, I just sorta explained it haha).

To see it is to be awed by the images as well as the sheer...nature of nature. I swear to you on my mother's beard that if you watched it in HD and wasn't moved by it in any way, you would have to be an alien infiltrator or android infiltrator and we need to hunt you down and destroy you lest you start making the rest of our race as unfeeling as you haha.

I'm hoping it will come out on HD-DVD, and then I might try to convince my brother to get the Xbox360's HD-DVD for $199. I'd pay $100+ for the HD-DVD boxed set of this. It's THAT good.

So along those lines, with this new super ultra mega big-big resolution, if you've seen any of these Planet Earth episodes, you can only imagine how incredible this would be. I'd easily pay $5 to go sit down in one of these super-res theaters to see an hour's worth of planet earth.

I also happen to think it would be good for all of us, especially kids. Give them a break from all the stupidity and nonsense and violence and such that they immerse themselves in everyday with tv, movies, video games.

If a blind, white lizard who lives in a stream deep underground that is so concentrated with sulfuric acid (and cameramen have to carry air and emergency air alert things so they can avoid lethal pockets of the gas while down in the cave that has probably never seen a single spec of light) and has EXTERNAL gills and a skin/membrane on it's body and you can actually see the blood pumping through these external gill membranes, eating small fish and such that also live in this ultra-poisonous sulfuric acid stream, if seeing that and hundreds of other bits just like it in super resolution, ultra clarity, if that isn't interesting (and good) for kids and adults alike, well....then I guess I'm just crazy.

Hollywood movies to me pale in comparison to something like that. I dig IMAX too. Not no damn movies, but just random . like whales, dolphins, NASA, hell, even Neckcar (NASCAR) is pretty awesome on a giagantica screen with bass rumbling you so much your large intestines start leaking a little poo into your shorts.

I love technology. I'm reading Flags of our Fathers right now, and I spend a lot of time imagining all the things we take for granted that weren't even conceived of back then. I remember we used to have a crummy little 13" black and white tv for a long time. Our first color tv is still a vivid memory. Our first tv with a real remote control, our first laser disc player, our first VCR...and then pretty much after that, it's been really sort of dull.

I mean, sure we have great new things like CD's and DVD's and now HDTV and HD-DVD, and we got fast computers and such. But to me, over time, this saturation with entertainment technology has really, in my opinion, brought down the quality of the content.

Imagine it like the NFL when there were only 8 teams. You had to be the best player because thousands of kids played in college, but only a couple hundred got to play NFL, and all those teams were good. Even the worst team could whip any other team on the planet. Then the NFL expanded, and the quality of skill...was diluted for a long time.

Imagine it also like the portable audio cd player with headphones. When they first came out, there were maybe 4 or 6 major players like Sony's Walkman. Quality stuff that was sorta pricey. Then all the sudden, every factory in China, Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia, India, and Mexico were cranking out portable cd players. And honestly, they were all crap.

Hollywood and technology have done the same thing. Now anyone can buy a 1080i 24p camera for $5k and make a movie. Worse, real studios, they can pay minimal money for crap scripts and distribute them instantly to DVD after theater flops. Or they can look at all this technology and say "hey, we don't need quality scripts and acting, we can just shoot this baby in HD and load it with lots of awesome computer animation and special effects. It will be so frickin pretty that no one will notice the . quality of the movie. Instead of standing around the watercooling . about how awful the plot and actors were, they'll be awestruck by the special effects and explosions and the one black guy with the funny catch-phrase that never gets old to make everyone laugh".

Better technology does not necessarily mean better quality. Look at Windows Vista lol.

Hopefully, just like the NFL, and just like the portable walkman-type cd players, Hollywood will stabilize, and the acting and plots and scripts will catch back up to the technology, which has left most of that behind. (remember, corporations own these movie studios, and like any corporation, they tend to make HORRIBLE choices for their customers which are actually excellent choices for the company shareholders' income...a quick payback of 10% return on their $1 million investment of a piece of . movie that mostly came from DVD sales? hell yes!)

ok that's my rant of the month. I'm excited for new technology, as always. But these days, my excitement is tempered by my view of reality, which states that new technology released takes 2-5 years for any benefits are realized by those the technology is targeted at.

New 1080p tv's? Sure, but not for 24 months later at 50% cost reduction, and another 12 months after that to get more than just 4 HD channels and a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player that doesn't cost $500-$1500.

New quad-core cpu's? Sure, but not for 3-5 years after they are brought to the mass market since it takes 3-5 years for the software, which is built on older, inferior technology, to catch up and programmers learn to take full advantage of the new hardware's technology (and by then, quad-core cpu's are so....Pentium75, ya know? Pffft...quad core...man, by the time Windows Jinka came out with full quad-core support, and all the games and other software took full advantage of it, I was already way beyond it and into a 32-core processor...sheesh).

Hopefully until then, you will all take my advice and try to catch this Planet Earth show on Discovery HD, and hopefully you'll be able to actually sit down and watch the entire thing, keeping your yap shut the entire time (except between maybe 3 or 20-30 second commercials which won't be on the dvd!), don't answer the cell phone, etc, and just watch it and enjoy it.

Then you can be at peace and conjure up all kinds of images of a 28,500p resolution explosion-bomb movie that is exactly that...nothing but guys in 200mph super sports cars racing around blasting a billion rounds of ammunition into a hundred thousand bad guys while tossing explosion-bombs constantly from their exotic and fast sports cars that shatter a hundred million panes of glass in an entire city of glass buildings and bad guys racing around tossing explosion-bombs at the explosion-bomb-tossing heroes.

Holy . isn't that like a wet-dream movie for guys?

;)

I'm hoping it will come out on HD-DVD, and then I might try to convince my brother to get the Xbox360's HD-DVD for $199. I'd pay $100+ for the HD-DVD boxed set of this. It's THAT good.

Have a looky here no need to part with $100+. Bargain of the century if you ask me, with the added bonus that part of the royalties go towards keeping kitfit in the manner to which he has become acustomed :D

Got to agree with a lot of what has been said though. Until film company's start producing content that peeps really want to watch then i won't be going to the cinama very often. As it happens Planet Earth was produced by the BBC, which is a TV company in the UK. Also for those interested it was(like most BBC productions)made on a shoestring budget.

I clicked the link... saw this and forgot why I clicked the link.

B000OBPFBE_laperla._V19932940_.jpg

Yes!!!!!!!! i would imagine you would forget :nod: Set the link to a static url now, so no more pron :sad:

man...I want the Discovery Channel's version with Sigourney Weaver narrating

I that case then try here. As i've only seen the origional version with David Attenborough, i did'nt realize you were watching a different version.

Edit: Just noticed that's the DVD version, not HD DVD. Looks like you will have to wait for the HD DVD to be released in the US.

Let me throw "Blood Diamond" out as another recent flic I enjoyed.

But I think that we all agree there is something special about the movie theater experience (sans cell phones ringing/people talking and with a great movie playing) that is unique and fun.

I did see the original "Star Wars" about a dozen times.

It seemed so far ahead of anything else out there it was awesome every time

So often we are forced to accept 2nd Best (like FM Radio and TV) to make sure everything is backwards compatible. I downloaded the "RED" bit torrents and have been playing them back repeatedly. I can see why so many are becoming enthused.

How much would I pay to see and Ultra High Def movie?

Like AG said, depends on the movie.