Core 2 Duo temps

I am new to Intel processors, having used AMD for the last 7 processor purchases.

I have an e6700 on a Asus P5B board, and I am a little concerned about the temperatures. I have already tried reinstalling the heatsink, and applying Arctic Silver, with no change each time, so I think that it is properly installed. I am using the stock heatsink with stock voltage and speeds, and have no intention of overclocking (I think the Conroes are fast enough to not be worth it).

My case temperature is sitting in a steady 32-35 C range depending on the time of day. The processor seems to give 3 different temperature readings (CPU/Core1/Core2), but these readings seem to be consistent across SpeedFan, Asus Probe, CPU Core, TAT. At idle, here is the typical numbers I get:

CPU: 35 C

Core1/2: 44 C

At a load typical of the max I would put on a system (running Oblivion with 6 other applications open and a virus scan running), here are the temps:

CPU: 45 C

Core 1/2: 52 C

If I use TAT to give a complete 100% load on both cores, I get

CPU: 50 C

Core1/2: 65 C

Coming from using Athlons, those temperatures seem alarmingly high to me. Are they anything that I need to worry about? If I am running at stock and using the Intel retail heatsink is there any reason to worry about this in the first place since Intel would have to replace the CPU if there were any problems?

Also, at what temperature do Conroes start throttling down? I have confirmed that even when the 2 cores are hitting 65 C, there is no throttling happening.

I have an e4300 and a Thermalright Ultra 120 with a Yate Loon fan. (with AS5 of course)

See my sig for overclock and voltages:

Idle 30-34C

Load 56-58C

I recommend this heatsink. Its a big momma thats for damn sure, but its way quieter than my old xp-90c and 92mm fan. Plus it cools great. And you don't need to buy the bracket adapter for the ultra that you will need to buy separately if you buy the xp 120. Its also the same price. Food for thought.

From what I have read the temp to aim at is 60C or under for C2D's, Unlike the 50C for AMD's, intel seem to handle higher temps better.

@ e268: My cousin has the Asrock DUAL board and an E6300 (with stock heatsink) it idles around the 30C-35C with a load in the low 50's. The board is not an overclocker of any sort but he has it at 2.2Ghz stable with identical CPU temps. Although he is still running a 350w PSU, that maybe his weak link when it comes to a decent OC.

For the XP120 I would think you would definitely be below 30C for idle

Thanks, Mark and Branjo for your info.

I am not looking for great overclocking. But, I saw some review that the Askrock can do 300fsbx9=2700 which is enough for my purpose. My existing AMD board in my sig can do 3.0 GHz. I don't play games. I use it for ffdshow and photo editing, which I find I need 2 GB of ram. Instead of spending more money on 2 GB of DDR1, I am thinking of buying this Askrock board, E4300 2GB of DDR2, use my existing video card, the case and PSU (which is rated 380W and has ample of juice). Then, eventually, I'll migrate to a better board when the price comes down more and when I am forced to use DX10 or DHCP compatible cards. This is really low cost, step-wise upgrade path. What do you think about my plan?

jdh79: sorry for hijacking this thread.

My E6600 Conroe peaks between 60-65C depending on whether I'm clocked at 3.2 or 3.4ghz.

Idles at 44-46C (again depending on whether I'm at 3.2 ro 3.4ghz).

I've ran mine for several months at those temps and it hasn't even flinched. Everything I've read says that the C2D's should be kept at 60C or less.

I'm using the Zalman 9700LED in my rig. Pretty decent air cooling.