Evga 8800gts

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting me a new card.

Which card would be the best choice.

EVGA GeForce 8800GTS KO ACS3 320MB

Core Clock Speed 588MHz, Memory Clock Speed 1840MHz

Priced € 357,-

EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS Superclocked, 320 MB

Core Clock Speed 576MHz, Memory Clock Speed 1700MHz

Priced € 312,-

The normal EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS, 320 MB

Core Clock Speed 500MHz, Memory Clock Speed 1600MHz

Priced € 287,-

How big is the chance with the 8800 series that they might brake down like the 7900 series did a time ago.

My first 7900GT KO broke down after 2 weeks on stock speed.

The 2nd did last 3 weeks at stock speeds too.

The 3rd is running at stock speed without problems, i didn't even think about overclocking it.

I know it could be possible to overclcok the normal 8800 and reach the superclocked specs or even go higher.

So if there is no or a very little chance for problems whing i overclock the card the choice would be the 8800GTS KO ACS3 or the normal 8800GTS an overclock it.

Are you gaming? If so could you go for more memory (plus more money!)

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modl...rtid=291&page=1

The 640MB version only outshines the 320MB variant at higher resolutions. So if you play at 1600x1200 or higher you'll probably want the extra memory, otherwise it won't benefit you much.

I haven't heard of any problems with the 8800 series, certainly mine has worked perfectly through various overclocks. I'd recommend just getting the basic version.

@Suedenim: I'm not a hardcore gamer.

I play maybe 7 hours per week

I run my resolution at 1024*768 at the moment on a 17" CRT monitor.

I a few months i will get me a 19" or bigger TFT screen maybe even a widescreen one.

@technodanvan: I read that the ACS3 is a better cooler than the normal cooler on the 8800GTS.

How high is your card clocked?

If i can (almost) reach the ACS3 specs with the basic card overclocked that would save me a lot of euro's. :)

Well, mine is the GTX and runs fine at 650/1900, haven't really tried pushing it.

The stock cooler is completely fine though, the AC3 may be ever so slightly better but I imagine it's a pretty minuscule difference - and honestly if you put your own thermal paste on the core and pull the plastic cladding off the heatsink itself you'll probably drop a good 8C.

Note the stock GTS cooler is identical to the one on the GTX.

Also note if you aren't an extreme gamer and will only be playing at 1280x1024 (or thereabouts) a stock 320 is still probably more than you need. Really - it's that much better than the 7900s. If you really do intend on getting a much bigger monitor though, say 1680x1050 or 1600x1200 you should consider the 640MB version so it'll handle those increased textures.

The 8800GTS 640MB basic card costs almost the same as the 320MB ACS3.

So i think it will get me the 8800GTS 640MB card.

A 20" widescreen runs at 1680*1050 and i intend to get me such a monitor.

Thanks for the answer.

New card + monitor might result in often playing games. :P

The 8800GTS 640MB basic card costs almost the same as the 320MB ACS3.

So i think it will get me the 8800GTS 640MB card.

A 20" widescreen runs at 1680*1050 and i intend to get me such a monitor.

Thanks for the answer.

New card + monitor might result in often playing games. :P

1680x1050 is sweet, i have been gaming that way for somethign like 3 years now. it is difficult to go back to a standard screen.

• 1 month later...
I do work sometimes with a widescreen screen, it's really nice. :nod:

Gaming on a widescreen never done so far, i don't know what i miss yet.

I have the Viewsonic 2025wm 20.1" 1680x1050 and was probably the best monitor for the money at the time. Unfortunately Viewsonic stopped making them but you might get lucky and find them some places. The newer 2035 is out but it has a cheaper panel and isn't as good. Anyways...

First your gonna notice how big the sucker is and your gonna get all excited. Then your gonna actually get playing games and your gonna wonder why you didn't get one earlier. It's absolutely amazing man, I can't even STAND to look at a 17" CRT anymore BBLLEEEHHH! You get sucked right into the game. Games seem to take on a more "lifelike" feeling.

If your gonna get a 640MB 8800GTS (I have one on the way) then you need a widescreen monitor to truly enjoy next gen gaming. ENJOY!!

I recently built 2 machines for my father with EVGA 8800 GTS 320mb on a 2.6ghz am2 w/ 4 gigs of Mushkin ddr2 they cost about $1100 apiece. They benchmarked w 3dmark06 @ 9508. My system in my sig scored a 8130 initially and I gained 250 or so points when i retested last night with the latest drivers from nvidia, 158.22. I think its the ram that really crushed me but i would say get the 640 gts and you will be very happy with its performance and longevity.

Guest LookBackX2

I bought the superclocked evga. The middle one I think. My clocks are in my sig. Stock cooler, using Rivatuner2.

Edit:320, not 640. Never would notice though. 2.0:9770 3dm06