(OC'ing Opty 146) Are these settings correct?

Hi All,

Would you let me know if these setting is correct for my Opteron 146:

CPU

FSB Bus Frequency: 285

LDT/FSB: Auto

CPU/FSB: Auto

Memory Timing

166=RAM/FSB:05/06 (I get a 237.6MHz reading when I use CPU-Z in Windows)

Rest of the settings are set to Default.

My system configuration is in my signature in the bottom of this message.

Thanks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Would you let me know if these setting is correct for my Opteron 146:

CPU

FSB Bus Frequency: 285

LDT/FSB: Auto

CPU/FSB: Auto

Memory Timing

166=RAM/FSB:05/06 (I get a 237.6MHz reading when I use CPU-Z in Windows)

Rest of the settings are set to Default.

My system configuration is in my signature in the bottom of this message.

Thanks!

If they work then they are fine but if you want my opinion I would set the LDT/FSB manually to 4 or even 3. I also just purely out of habit set the CPU multiplier manually too.

Most people try to keep the LDT/HTT speed to 1000 if you are using 4 x 285 = 1140 then it is more likely to have some LDT headroom to allow you to overclock further.

I could get 1400+ out of my LDT/HTT by upping the LDT voltage to 1.4 but I would suggest you keep to 1000 or under whilst trying to find your CPU's maximum before you start overclocking the LDT & RAM etc.

Regards

Craig.

Edit

Your RAM is good stuff so I am sure you wont have any problems with that for a while but remember to use the orange slots over 250 ish fsb otherwise the board wont boot.

Thanks for your response. The thing that I don't understand is that why my RAM is only working in 5:6 (166MHz) mode and no other, effectively making it run BELOW the 250MHz that is factory advertised. Is it BAD RAM?

(all other modes/dividers make the system hang or not boot at all)

Thanks!

Thanks for your response. The thing that I don't understand is that why my RAM is only working in 5:6 (166MHz) mode and no other, effectively making it run BELOW the 250MHz that is factory advertised. Is it BAD RAM?

(all other modes/dividers make the system hang or not boot at all)

Thanks!

Your RAM is running 5/6 of the 285fsb i.e 237.5mhz or close to its 250mhz design speed.

You are going over the 250mhz on the 180 divider.

You could try slackening the primary timings & or some extra voltage to help you get it running on the 180 divider.

you could also try the 133 divider that should work.

Why don't you post your full settings like we do on a OCBD entry & maybe we could make suggestions for you to try.

Regards

Craig.

Thanks for the info. OK, I am pretty convinced (after a lot of trial and error) that my CPU's max is 3GHz.

When I run the system and ram in 5:6=166, it won't calculate 1MB> in SuperPI, so I had to revert to 7:10. With that set, it runs very stable and passes all the tests.

The only thing that I am concerned is the RAM speed, it is running 214.3.

Is there anyway to increase this even more or if I let in run it would be OK.

In other words, since it is NOT running close to its factory speed (250) would it degrade the performance of the system?

Thanks!

CPU clocks are king of the hill in just about everything most people do day in and day out on their PC's. Keep that in mind when walking down that o/c path. You also need to consider RAM frequency versus RAM timings. NF4 boards really like tight timings, so overall you might be better off settling for slightly lower RAM frequencies and trying to tighten your timings while keeping a healthy overclock on your processor. As in all things overclocking, most of it is trial and error and getting helpful starting points from folks running similar cpu, ram and motherboard combinations as yours.

The G.Skill cheat sheet saved me a good weeks worth of work, knowing what most people were getting out of theirs and at what timings and settings.

The Socket939 OCDB is also a sweet place to check out some hardware similar to yours and try and find a close starting point.

Also, even if you think you know everything there is to know about overclocking, The Definitive DFI A64 Overclocking Guide is a great resource. Read it, and then read it again. It can be found here;

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

Sorry for being newbie, but when there is talk of 3.3.3.7 and so forth, these refer to CAS Latency, RAS# to CAS# Delay, Trp, Tras and Trc?

What "tight" settings are "normal" (I understand that I have to come up with these settings, but I need a starting point).

For example, aside from my RAM being set to 7:10 (had to change from 5:6, since MemTest+ gave me errors in test 5 and 7), everything else is set to default, and as result I get these reading in CPU-Z: 3.3.3.7.

Am I (80% or so) on the right track?

Many thanks for your time and insights!