How many pieces of hardware have you fried?

106 members have voted

1. 1.

• none
    • one
    • two
    • three
    • four
    • five
    • six
    • seven
    • eight or more

2 fried pieces of hardware. 1 intentional the other accidentally.

The video card I fried was a really old Ti4200. I got it from a friend for 10 bucks, so I volt modded the GPU and the VRAM just to see how fast it would go. It kept going and going until the screen went black. It was pretty cool.

The other was a hard-drive by accident. I built this circuit using a capacitor the size of a coke can as kind of a time delay shut off for my cooling system. It was supposed to keep the cooling system going for a few more minutes after shutdown by slowly draining the capacitor. Well, the inrush current of the capacitor fried the motor of the closest hard-drive to it in the chain. I never did get it to work so I just modded a spare PSU to run the cooling after shutdown.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SuppA-SnipA

Dlink PCI wifi card hehe, took it back to the store, said it didnt work, payed $5 difference and gota SMC card, which is now in my old celeron

I can't brag about my prowess at frying hardware. Maybe it is because I am too chicken to set the volts high enough to cause problems.

Although with this rig, I have it OC'd to 2.7 from 2.4 with stock volts. I have tried every combination of settings and this is the one that works best. I figured if I could get 2.6 it would be doing great.

Guest Blooz1

I've only actually fried one piece of hardware in the 8-9 years I've been building rigs.

That was an ATi Radeon GPU I was installing in my DFI Infinity nF2 board. Somehow plugged in the power connector upside-down (doing it by feel!) and ZAP!

Took out the card and the AGP slot on the board! Too bad, I loved playing with that board!

I can't brag about my prowess at frying hardware. Maybe it is because I am too chicken to set the volts high enough to cause problems.

Although with this rig, I have it OC'd to 2.7 from 2.4 with stock volts. I have tried every combination of settings and this is the one that works best. I figured if I could get 2.6 it would be doing great.

you just need to get some bees in your case :D

If you count a Dell i once had, it is over a dozen. the total count from what i remember is as follows..

4 RAM replacements (2x512)

2 optical drive replacements (both)

3 HDD's

2 MB's

3 PSU's

1 GPU

2 full computer replacements

after about 4 months of this, i returned the comp and got every penny back, including shipping and all taxes etc..

for my current comp, only the motherboard when i dropped a screwdriver in it while it was running :P so i put down my vote as one.

• 1 month later...