planning on a new build, heres what ive been thinking:

Abit AW9D-Max 975X

E4300/6300/6400 (dunno which one) + Tuniq Tower 120

2GB GEIL Ultra DDR2-800 (4-4-4-12)

Leadtek 8800GTS 640MB

Sata DvDRW+DvDD

another 160gb HD for raid 0

will all be put into my Chieftec case

my first question would be if instead of grabbing the 8800GTS now wait until DX10 cards are mainstream and there are acually DX10 games out

second q. is should i wait for intel to realease the 6340 and 6420? would the extra 2mb cache be worth it?

Go for either the E6300 or E4300.

They overclock just as well and the extra cache makes no difference whatsoever.

Also, avoid the Abit like the PLAGUE, unless of you don't want to overclock.

The best I can do is 400MHz FSB but that's with 1.75v on the chipset! :eek:

i had e6700 and e4300 clocked the same and the cache mad a difference I think because everything else was identical and I got better superpi times.
Better SuperPi times, yes.

But you didn't notice any difference in terms of real world performance

planning on a new build, heres what ive been thinking:

Abit AW9D-Max 975X

E4300/6300/6400 (dunno which one) + Tuniq Tower 120

2GB GEIL Ultra DDR2-800 (4-4-4-12)

Leadtek 8800GTS 640MB

Sata DvDRW+DvDD

another 160gb HD for raid 0

will all be put into my Chieftec case

my first question would be if instead of grabbing the 8800GTS now wait until DX10 cards are mainstream and there are acually DX10 games out

second q. is should i wait for intel to realease the 6340 and 6420? would the extra 2mb cache be worth it?

Not sure about that Abit board. Searching the Stock Speed Database (SSDB) and Overclocking Database (OCDB) you may come up with some ideas.

To save some money go with the e4300 and yes to the Tuniq Tower 120.

Get a good North Bridge cooler to. The Thermalright HR-05 is great

The biggest concern is what PSU are you getting? PSU’s are a big part of stability. Stick with one from this thread; The Big Giant Power Supply Thread. The corsair 620W is great or OCZ 700W.

I got this linkage is less than 24hr of over clocking. From 1800Mhz to 3100MHz not bad. That is 72% overclocked OCDB stable and WinSMP Folding stable. Overclocking is patients, skill, patients and luck. Wait did I say patients. The ICFX3200 motherboard has a mountain on adjustments in the BIOS. For me the ICFX3200 was definitely the most confusing motherboard to overclock.

How high to you plan on ocing? Ive got a 6300 with a p6n platnium. I really like it myself but i havent tried to oc it much only to 2.3. just really depdends on how high you want to go, if you want sli or xfire, or any other preferances. but I would avoid Abit as well and Asus.

Asus sells more hardware than anyone else.

Most of my builds have some form of Asus product in them and their motherboards are very stable.

I have never had one single problem with their boards.

Well then he can just get an AM2 if we are talking about real world performance.

There's a big difference between a C2D vs an AM2. But not so much between a 2mg C2D vs a 4mg C2D. Yes the extra cache will make a difference in things like unzipping files and video editing and what not but you will not see any difference in gaming or web surfing.

Oh and you know I have to throw out my suggestion...my Gigabyte DQ6 has worked out very well for me. I've never had any cold boot issues or anything with it. Actually for as long as I've had this mobo I just barely had to clear the CMOS for the first time yesterday. But that was my fault when during the middle of the night with low 20s temps decided to try and jump from 3060mhz to 3600mhz. Needless to say that didn't work out so well but after a simple CMOS clear it was back up and runnung.