Next system core, C2D. Advice is welcome.

Technohydra

Board: Asus Commando

CPU: C2D E6600

Ram: OCZ 2x1GB PC2 1100 DC kit

This is what I'm looking to use for my new system core. The 965p chipset and E6600 are know to play well together, and the ram should provide a tone of headroom for OC, even if it only runs at specs.

If any of you have concerns, or would like to recommend a different board or memory kit, I'm all ears. Just keep in mind that I will be using an E6600 cpu, and if you recommend a non-965p board, please let me know what the OC potentual has been with your recommendation. OCDB entries or reviews are helpful here. Also, I will be watercooling this unit, so keep that in mind.

Thanks folks, you've yet to point me wrong!

I haven't bought it yet. The thing is, aren't the 45nm quad's supposed to be out in late Q4 in server flavor and Q1 2008 for desktop standard?

I'm not waiting 9 months to get a new chip. I may purchase one then and upgrade though...I don't mind spending some money to have a 45nm cpu, hehe.

Quad core is at least a year down the road for me, if at all. I guess what I really need advice on here is the board. With the cpu and ram I have selected, do you think this board is going to let me do some good things with watercooling/peltier, or should I look at a different board/chipset?

I've been lead to believe that the E6600's do best on a 965p for OCing. I've also heard that the 975's don't OC terribly well, due to a fsb limitation, otherwise, I'd be getting a DFI Infinity. Keep it roling folks, good stuff so far.

I don't know if 965p would be better than 975, but mine has been folding for a week and a half now @3060mhz and the 4300 has the 9x multi just like the 6600 so I imagine you should also be able to get pretty far.

Hmmm...I'm going to look in the OCDB for a bit and see if I can come up with some firsthand info, but I have to say, between the Infinity, R600 LP, DQ6, and Commando, I'm having a tough time choosing a board. Hehe, just goes to show, there's a lot of fun hardware out for the 775's! I like it.

I would say e4300 as well, sold my e6600 while prices are still kinda high and bought a e4300, the extra $1** towards quad in the future. I would say p5b-delux, 975 infinity(wasnt my kind of board) I <3 my 680i although not many like it here. It does 525fsb at stock mb voltage

I agree, so much so that I ordered one! It looks like a f***ing fabu board, and I like the idea of having 650 as the top option for fsb, lol. Never get to use it, but it's nice, none the less.

Thanks for all the input everyone, I appreciate your advice, as always!

If you need virtualization do not forget that the E4300 does not support it.

I did my research and narrowed down my motherboard selection down to the Abit AW9D-Max and the ASUS Commando.

In hindsight, I should have picked the Commando. It's got everything I need, and nothing I dont.

The problem I have with the AW9D-Max is that the 975x chipset isn't really overclocker friendly.

In any case, it looks good to me!

Asus P5B deluxe is a nice stable board, it has a good layout is full ATX size.

I agree with picking up the E6600.

The E4300 is nice I suppose, but for another $100 you are pretty much assured of getting a 3ghz CPU at stock voltages with 4 mb L2 cache. The E4300 I had was a disappointment so there is a chance you may get a voltage hog as well.