8800GTX - Why won't it get along with a 6600GT?

Evening folks.

Thought I'd post this question in it's own thread since no one seemed to respond to it when I did it in another thread ;)

I am currently running an 8800GTX as you probably know, but I wanted to run 3 monitors at once, and my only other card I have available is a 6600GT. I installed the 6600GT in the second PCI-E slot, booted up, it installed... rebooted for the install. Bluescreen. Rebooted again. Bluescreen.

I can't catch the error as it reboots too fast. I know it wasn't an overclocking error as I was still running this setup at stock when that happened. My question to you is, is this going to end up being a driver conflict of running a DX-10 card with a DX-9 card / new generation with old, or should I try and figure it out (Is it fixable)?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening folks.

Thought I'd post this question in it's own thread since no one seemed to respond to it when I did it in another thread ;)

I am currently running an 8800GTX as you probably know, but I wanted to run 3 monitors at once, and my only other card I have available is a 6600GT. I installed the 6600GT in the second PCI-E slot, booted up, it installed... rebooted for the install. Bluescreen. Rebooted again. Bluescreen.

I can't catch the error as it reboots too fast. I know it wasn't an overclocking error as I was still running this setup at stock when that happened. My question to you is, is this going to end up being a driver conflict of running a DX-10 card with a DX-9 card / new generation with old, or should I try and figure it out (Is it fixable)?

If I remember correctly. You cannot run different cards in SLI. Before you couldn't even run different manufacturers' cards of the same card like an eVGA 6800GT and an Asus 6800GT. But I believe you can now run different manufacturers' cards that are the same card but you just can't run different cards.

I'm not TRYING to run them in SLI, I am trying to run 3 monitors. I've done it before with a 7900GTX and the 6600GT I was trying to use, which is why I posted this.

Regardless of whether or not you are TRYING to run them in SLI. I don't believe the Nvidia chipset is designed to handle two distinct cards at the same time.

If you really want to run 3 monitors at once. I don't know why you need to. Look at this.

As far as the chipset goes, I just said it does, so quit arguing with me ;) I've run a 7900 and 6600 before, several times, on this and an Asus mobo.

And if I didn't need to I wouldn't be asking ;)

I'm asking if it's most likely that it is a Driver Issue with running a 8800 and 6600 at the same time since they run off of DIFFERENT drivers, as that isn't likely to be an issue I can resolve, or if it's something you guys think I can correct.

SLI DOES NOT have to be enabled to run two cards at once, trust me, I've been through around 6 different SLI setups and 3 or 4 non-SLI dual card setups, I know full well what you can and can't do with a dual-PCI-E slot mobo as far as displays go.

Keep in mind the drivers for the 8800 series are (or at least were) different from the drivers for everything else, so it may well recognize that another nvidia card is installed and then tries to apply suitable drivers for it, then fails.

Guest thespin

Try going into Device Manager, uninstalling all drivers for both cards, then rebooting and reinstalling with the hardware wizards that popup in the order they appear ...

If that doesn't work, uninstall all drivers again, and go with technodanvan's thinking and see if you can use the 8800 driver for both cards ...

Hmmm...definitely a driver collision...have you tried not connecting the pci-e 6 pin plug to the card so it can be recognized, but not accessed? If the 6600 can't power up, drivers won't attempt to load for it, but the NV installer should still be able to use the bus power to poll the chipset and determine that the drivers you're trying to install go with a piece of hardware in your machine.

The other thing to do would be to remove the 8800 and start up with just the 6600, which will force Windows to load it's default VGA drivers. Then install the drivers for the card in a different folder than the 8800 drivers are in. Shutdown, restart with both cards in and you should have disco.