Need a Cable Modem

Timber Jockey

Comcast, on the other hand.....

Yeah no kiddin'. Their speeds aren't even close to what they advertise. Our service was just switched from Adelphia; whose speeds were faster than advertised.

Adelphia:

Advertised: 3.0/384

Actual: 4.1/425

Comcast:

Advertised: 6.0/384

Actual: 4.9/360

One big issue I see is that the modems support speeds that are faster than what any cable company is offering. Additionally, if they advertise throughput rates, the customer shouldn't be seeing lower speeds.

One big issue I see is that the modems support speeds that are faster than what any cable company is offering. Additionally, if they advertise throughput rates, the customer shouldn't be seeing lower speeds.

Read the user agreement you signed again. They only advertise the maximum bandwidth available. No provider can guarantee anything when it comes to the Internet.

Cablemodems work within a local loop back to the Point Of Presence while DSL runs to the DSLAM back to the POP.

Once that line back to the POP gets saturated all bets are off regarding throughput on both systems.

My cable ISP has the benefit of three different POP's interconnected with their own fiber backbone for redundancy. There are still times when throughput drops to half their advertised rates.

Yeah no kiddin'. Their speeds aren't even close to what they advertise. Our service was just switched from Adelphia; whose speeds were faster than advertised.

Adelphia:

Advertised: 3.0/384

Actual: 4.1/425

Comcast:

Advertised: 6.0/384

Actual: 4.9/360

Speeds are close to what i am paying for....but the stability sucks.