help on which DFI board

RunLoganRun

I want SLI, so there are like 3 options, the DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939, the UT, and the UT Expert. I've only OC'd one processor before. I understand it and did a good job with it, but I don't want anything too crazy. I looked at the specs online but I couldn't really get the gist of what the difference between the UT and the non-UT. Can someone break that down for me easily?

thanks

I want to get a dual core, and just noticed that the UT supports X2, I will put an Opti in it anyways, but does that mean the other one does not support dual core?

I want SLI, so there are like 3 options, the DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939, the UT, and the UT Expert. I've only OC'd one processor before. I understand it and did a good job with it, but I don't want anything too crazy. I looked at the specs online but I couldn't really get the gist of what the difference between the UT and the non-UT. Can someone break that down for me easily?

thanks

I want to get a dual core, and just noticed that the UT supports X2, I will put an Opti in it anyways, but does that mean the other one does not support dual core?

The UT does not have all the bells and whistles that the non-UT does. Things include the FrontX panel, a UV sleeving kit, PC Transpo (a strap to carry your box around), etc.

All of them support dual-core.

And as SomethingStupid said, the UT Expert has better PCI-e slot placement, among other things.

Expert is the correct choice. I just sold mine, was the best motherboard I have used so far.

Great overall layout, extra space for video cards as has been stated.

Expert board has everything from firewire to an extra LAN connection plenty of SATA ports etc.

Don't forget to make sure you have a recommended power supply with 8-pin 12v EPS connector.

13-136-166-04.jpg?t=1170480111

I read somewhere that the expert was very complicated, as far as amount of bios settings, and therefore difficult to get up and running for many people. I have a good understanding of the BIOS on my Asus, but was slightly intimidated when I read that. Is that the case?

thanks

I read somewhere that the expert was very complicated, as far as amount of bios settings, and therefore difficult to get up and running for many people. I have a good understanding of the BIOS on my Asus, but was slightly intimidated when I read that. Is that the case?

thanks

All the DFI boards have an extensive BIOS. Be prepared to research what some of the options do; however, the overclock database we have here can give you a jump-start as to where to start... just look for users who have similar setups and see what they did to reach whatever speed they're at.

Basically, you get everything with the Asus and a bunch of secondary memory timings, among others.

I went from an Asus to the expert and had alot of fun and learned alot.

It can be intimidating, but nothing you won't be able to solve.

Nothing against Asus, but clearly no contest as far as performance goes for a socket 939.

• 4 weeks later...
If you're going to SLI with the 8800 GTS down the road I'd go for the Expert because of the better pci-e spacing. I'm pretty sure all the nF4 SLI boards support dual-cores. Hope this helps.

Question- How can the PCI-e spacing be better on the expert if the SLI connector is the same size?

Thanks

Question- How can the PCI-e spacing be better on the expert if the SLI connector is the same size?

Thanks

The space between the 2 PCI-e 16x slots on the expert has both the PCI-e 1x and PCI-e 4x slots between them. On my board for example (the NF4 Ultra-D) the arrangement is [CPU SOCKET] [x4] [x16] [x1] [x16] [PCI] [PCI] so there is only 1 space between the 2 x16 slots.