X-Fi Crackling/Popping Ultra-D

Or the Sli-DR

The creative xfi is the worst card ive ever got in terms of crackling , my old soundstorm on the nforce 2 never did it :mad:

This is what i posted in another thread i deleted --

Currently have the lanparty sli-dr bios shows date 06/23/2005... Problem is im getting the odd anoying crackle with my XFI soundcard and apparantly the creative devs are spouting crap that we should update our bios's. Though is it worth updating the bios even if everything else works?

Overclock is good , its stable , everything works as it should bar the odd crackle from the xfi soundcard and its an old bios.

Its a very strange issue that they label as an X-fi and Nf4 problem. I have ran a few different X-fi cards.....one extreme music from the very first batch without heatsink....a later model platinium and a fata1ity with the heatsink without any problems what so ever. I even used all the different drivers including the beta ones for the X-fi with no problems. This was when I was switching back and forth between the 3 BIOS versions available for the expert. Everything has been good ever since. I go and put the X-fi into an old ASUS P4C800-E with intel 875p chipset..........I get the crackling and popping. If I switch the X-fi control panel setting like 5.1 to 2.1.....switch it back and apply...no crackling until next reboot. Its very strange = T

The answer seems to lie in the BIOS.

If I use any BIOS prior to the May 9/05 one, the crackling/popping/shrieking goes away completely.

But none of these prior ones recognize my dual-core, and I get frame rate crashes on the game I'm doing this all for whenever I use these prior ones.

Any theories?

• 1 month later...

I have MASSIVE snap,crackle & pop (I'm calling it the S.C.P Syndrome) whenever one the SATA harddrives are working hard, for instance when defragging a drive. It is unbearable to listen to music (think machine-gun SCP, not the occasional glitch). I still have found no solution (been trying all kinds of drivers, settings, PCI Latency tricks and whatnot). If it hadn't been for the fact that I need low latency ASIO I'd have ripped the card out and used onboard sound instead, but that's not a choice. Creative have said that vendors had to fix the problem with BIOS updates. No word from DFI about that, and their ultra-slow global site is sort of crappy, and now that dfi-street is no longer affiliated with DFI, there's nowhere else to turn.

I have X-Fi as well and didn't got any problem so far,

I was afraid to buy this card because what i heard but i have seen that it's not happend to all people.

Anyway there should be two things that can happend to this:

1. Card manufactring problem

2. conflict with onboard sound card , try to disable it on BIOS(if u didn't do that so far)