650i chipset

Guest ElAguila_merged

Guest ElAguila

Has anyone heard if the 650i boards are having the same issues with data corruption that the 680i boards are having? I am ready to give up this msi board and after looking at the gigabyte DS3 it appears that only 2 of the 6 sata ports support raid 0. If the data corruption issues aren't in the 650i then I am seriously considering picking up this asus board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131142

The reviews for this board are good and it seems to have the oc'ing features that I am accustomed to having in the dfi amd boards.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ElAguila

I am not looking at running sli anytime soon. If that is the only issue then this board is a great buy. It has almost all of the same oc features as the 680i.

Heard from other forums, most of the 680i issues were fixed & I am going to swap with this P5N-e in this week too. I don't really care about the 8x8 vs the 16x16 cause the real performance may be only 5% difference. And I am not using SLI anyway. For this price u can't go wrong man!!!

And tonite, I will picking up the Corsair Fat body D9 Twin2X1024-8000UL. So exciting...

Guest ElAguila

Yep the price is great. This msi board I have now has really frustrated me. I will be sending it back this week. Tomorrow I the P5N-E and my conroe 6600. I will match that to the supertalent T800UX2GC4 that I have already. It is great mmeory btw.

i am not very happy with the mobo

last night "melted" 3 windows

fsb setting is easy......i just did 1610 and my 4300 was at warp speed in no time

after that i went for the ram.......windows borked 3 times

never saw anything like this before

and i was not messing with timings in windows....only boot from bios

tryed the nvidia driver with and without the IDE SW driver

even with a conservative config in my ram(cellshock 6400).....500 5-5-5 windows died for the 3 rd time

tonight i will try again but i have the feeling that high perfomance/voltage ram has issues with this board

my ocz 9200 fail to boot 5 out of 10 times....have to put 1 cellshock....go into bios...set vdimmm higher...etc...etc

grumpf

i am not very happy with the mobo

last night "melted" 3 windows

fsb setting is easy......i just did 1610 and my 4300 was at warp speed in no time

never saw anything like this before

and i was not messing with timings in windows....only boot from bios

tryed the nvidia driver with and without the IDE SW driver

even with a conservative config in my ram(cellshock 6400).....500 5-5-5 windows died for the 3 rd time

tonight i will try again but i have the feeling that high perfomance/voltage ram has issues with this board

my ocz 9200 fail to boot 5 out of 10 times....have to put 1 cellshock....go into bios...set vdimmm higher...etc...etc

grumpf

keep in mind that you are in that less-than-1% category and people might take your words to mean something when in reality they don't (for them, the overwhelming majority).

You are an overclocker who uses phase cooling and is looking for something special for your goal of super overclocking.

These guys (and really this forum) isn't about that. It's about Joe Average who is like me, a guy who just wants to get something out of his money. We aren't looking for those 500FSB overclocks like you are. Because we don't have the equipment to really make it happen, nor the wallet depth to keep buying this and that to find the best.

I'm not ranking you out saying you are bad. Everyone has a different goal and yours is yours, and I got no issues with it. Someone has to be one of the top overclockers.

But these guys, they might take your words to mean that the board is crap or something negative because you couldn't get your superclock, yet they don't know you like I know you, and they don't know that you are shooting for clocks that none of them could ever dream of without all the equipment and learning that you already have.

It's kinda like a guy showing up to a Honda dealership talking about how this car doesn't do this, doesn't do that, doesn't have this, or that, etc....and the people on the lot though, they have no idea you drive a $1,000,000 Ferarri...so they assume that these Hondas are all not worthy when in reality the Hondas are PERFECT for what they want, and what they will use them for.

They have no need of a Ferarri and can't afford one anyway. They need to know about the Honda (and you can inform them you drive a Ferarri so they'll have a clue and be able to discount your words for the most part as your words won't apply to them and their needs).

As I said, not trying to make you feel like you got singled out. I'm looking out for the 99.9% users who aren't in your league of skill nor equipment, and so aren't looking for (or at) the same things you do.

i have do disagree with you travis....;)

i can see your point....but IMO it doesnt fit in this situation

i am testing the board for a shop that sent it to me

i am not using phase or any other exotic cooling

just plain and simple watercooling with a budget E4300 some nice ram and a 7600 GS...

budget rig

like i said 400 fsb came easy......100% oc in the cpu

the ram tough is a pita....tryed cellshock 6400 and ocz 9200.....not aiming for sky high speeds...no.....just tryed 450 5-4-4-........

speed that i know any of the ram i have will do easy....

not trying to bash asus or something......i did have 5 asus boards in the past 4 months.....

its just my opinion based on a couple of days observation

the vcore is good...altough a bit strange

vdimm is much better than the p5b "vanilla"

bios is quite easy to work with

and for the price is bang for the buck.......

but trashed 3 windows in 4 hours of benching....couldnt raise the ram above 430...thats a fact......

regards

if 400FSB came easy, you should have made that your point, and then stated that as of yet, 500FSB isn't successful

but I didn't read that

all I read (and everyone else reads) is that you can't get the board to work properly at 500FSB and it's melted 3 of your windows installs

there's a pretty significant difference between what you have said in your second post compared to your first post ;)

i

like i said 400 fsb came easy......

1610 in nforce 650i or 680i is 401 fsb....cause in bios appears the real fsb speed and wee need to do some math

maybe i explain myself wrong

english is not my native language...as you know....

and i assumed that the 1610 was understandable

my bad

the only issues i have is with ram.....

i am gonna try some mushkin elpida chips later on and see if it makes any difference

regards

Guest ElAguila

What bios are you using with this board? I have heard of issues with the original bios and others have had issues with 0401. Most are saying that the 0307 is the one to go with.