Dell's going nuts

cuoficr

Not sure if anyone has been paying attention to whats going on over at the DELL camp, and Im sure its related to the aqusition of Alien, but the are offering factory overclocked QX6800's @ 3.2ghz (2.66 stock) with WC lol, will set you back over 5 grand but I thought it was amusing (was browsing for a laptop, figured id check out the offerings)

5 grand for a computer is insane... 4 cores or not.

You could build a watercooling setup for the chipset, graphics card, and CPU, or two graphics cards - that is in the top 5%, for under $400. $800 for the CPU, now $1200. 2.5K For the rest of the parts, which I'd say is reasonable if you're buying the _absolute_best_ in 2-4 gigs of overclocked RAM, the best PSU, two of the best graphics cards, brings you to 3.7K. But dell isn't known for using the best PSU, or even good PSUs, or RAM with low latencies.. Where they get 5K from is out of world of thought. This isn't just a small markup for having them build it for you, it seems like they're just adding 1K on because they made it.

I'll check out the parts later and do my best to get a list of what that system would cost if you built it yourself. Right now, I could be(as I often do), talking out of my butt... maybe they added a bunch of 750 GB seagates to the system. But I don't give dell or alien the benefit of the doubt.

Also, on at least one of those systems, the overclock has to be faulty. How do you "factory" overclock? Just choose a voltage that you think will work for every single quad core at 3.2 GHz, choose a vdimm and memory timings that you just think will work for all memory at 500 MHz? Someone who gets one of these, has to get one that doesn't overclock right, and god help him if he's not good with computers and has to call India tech support to get help on overclocking. heh.

Not sure if anyone has been paying attention to whats going on over at the DELL camp, and Im sure its related to the aqusition of Alien, but the are offering factory overclocked QX6800's @ 3.2ghz (2.66 stock) with WC lol, will set you back over 5 grand but I thought it was amusing (was browsing for a laptop, figured id check out the offerings)

lol yea I saw that about 2 weeks ago

crazy prices for nothing special

Dell makes a good product when you're spending less than $700 on a desktop.

($350 for a decent 64-bit machine and LCD is a damn good deal in anyones book!)

Their laptops are really, really good at any price range.

I have a Core 2 Duo E1505 with an ATI X1400 and 1GB of RAM that I love (the screen is 1680x1050!)

There are a lot of people who do not have the technical ability or the time to build such a machine.

Also, for some people $5000 is nothing and they could earn that in the time it would take them to build it

Plus Dell has tech support (albeit bad!)

But obviously I'd never pay that much despite my financial circumstances.

Then agin, we're enthusiasts so that's to be expected!

god help him if he's not good with computers and has to call India tech support to get help on overclocking. heh.

Well if he ordered a PC from Dull for personal use of that caliber then he probably doesn't know much and just wants a good PC. I doubt he's a Bill Gates or even a Thasp:p (hehe joking).

I got to say my first PC, a Dell was pretty expensive. It was THX certified so that probably raised the price a few points. I wish I knew half the stuff I know now. And I don't know much.:)

I was happy with my Dell though. Never had any problems besides it shipping with ME. My brother still uses it and is learning on it. Just XP, a Ram upgrade and a additional HDD.

I would never buy a Dell again though, unless I owned a business and needed 30 cheap computers fast. Then they would be my first choice.

Should be interesting to see what the price difference is though. After that perhaps also compare it with there cheapest desktop. You can't by a dell without a monitor though. Unless it's the cheapest business one.

Lets see 1 desktop POS didn't work! 4 laptops of of same order nothing but problems on all 4 of them.

Lets just say IMO I think that DELL sucks after 5 computers they certainly didn't fall into the catogory of being even close to worth the $2300.00 that I spent on it...them whatever I will never buy anything I mean anything from them ever agai!

I do love Dell, and they currently have the best LCD line up in the market! also their systems are getting sexier as well.

At least admit that they are trying, as we all know, delivering a quad core OC is not going to be an easy task. I would not be surprised if they did use the street methodology in order to rubberstamp the system stable.

And regarding the PSU's, they can't put a bud PSU in there otherwise it wouldn't pull off the OC......

And yes 5K is not cheap, but this is with a badass screen and a high end custom case. Don't forget all the bits we're spending on little tuning bits after the PC purchase, this ystem includes it all (+ software)

I wouldn't mind bying one....

And regarding the PSU's, they can't put a bud PSU in there otherwise it wouldn't pull off the OC......

Sure they can.

Who cares if the OC doesn't work? That's what all that Indian tech support is for!

I can get a badass screen for $300. I can get a badass case for $200. This Dell is nothing special.

I've had great luck with Dell desktops and laptops

We only have called Dell customer service twice in the past 4-5 years now. Now any time we did call we were helped but we also had to wait on the phone for long periods of time for someone to pick up.

We have 4 Dell Dimension desktops, 1 custom build desktop, a dell dimension we turned into a TiVo and works fine, as well as 2 Dell laptops.

All work without any problem but if something does go wrong we normally know them well enough to fix any problem that comes up.

This Dell is nothing special.

This Dell is nothing special to you and I and and most of the rest of us who can build a better computer for less money while using higher quality components & then OC it further. But to the average joe, who doesn't have the knowledge, experience or desire, it is special.

I do agree though, I would never pay that sort of money for an OCed computer from any manufacturer. Most of the fun I have is in building it then OCing the crap out of it myself. I enjoy the journey...

As for the factory overclock, part of the premium that you are paying for is likely going to a technician who is hand tweaking these machines. It will pretty much be a custom build, built at the time of order, not something that will be cranked out by the hundreds...

I don't believe that Dell will be sending out any unstable machines, they know better than that...

This is not to say that none of them will have any problems, just that it will likely be the exception, not the rule.