Unreal Tournament 2004 & 2007

Flybye

For anyone that still plays Unreal Tournament 2004, I invite you to my clan's Chicago server at 72.51.60.34:7777. You can also visit us at www.toxicplay.com

We are mostly an Onslaught clan, but also have the server configured to play TAM. This is all we play. UT04. And we are desperately awaiting UT07s arrival. We also play competitively at www.teamwarfare.com.

Why do we still play this 3yr old game?

As stale as it is, UT04 still has a unique flavor to it. Something that I can not find in any other game. Onslaught sits on a Pedestal in a room of its own, and TAM makes foot combat in any other game feel like you are watching Days of Our Lives in reverse.

Has anyone seen the UT07 trailer that was released in 9/06?

I loved UT2004, used to play into the wee hrs of the mourning,had to be carefull about when I would start cause I couldn't quit,one of the best games of all times,I might have to check you guys out.

I'm awaiting UT2007 as well,hope I'm able to play w/my current setup

Rainbow Six didn't impress me one bit, but GoW....OMG. What a work of art. GoW brings out a lot of the eye candy the Unreal Engine 3 has to offer. I've even played it at 1920x1080. Ever since I've played it, I'm dying for UT07 for than ever.

Some say UT07 won't look as good as GoW since it needs to be optimized for an unknown number of players, but I beg to differ. UT04 has a huge number of settings to play with, and I'm willing to bet good money UT07 will also and it will look just as good or better than GoW.

well, I just played an hour's worth of Rainbow Six Vegas and I got to say with SLI and 2xAA/16xAF @ 1440x900 it looks pretty damn impressive (since it does after all use the UE3 engine that powers UT2007 and GoW).

I don't think you will find a game that looks better than GoW for a while (really until Crysis or UT2007 comes), and even then, I don't know. GoW was so heavily built around teh 360 game system that I'm gonna say uses just about every trick, power, shader, etc in the book. I know MS and Epic worked closer than incestuous siblings on this project to really show the power of the 360.

Halo3 might look better...MS better hope it does if anything.

I think with HD doing 1920x1080 and pc's doing 1920x1080 (or higher) we'll see about the same thing on both systems anymore (depends on how much time the devs put into the pc versions as console games outsell pc games by a huge margin for the most part other than WoW and Sims lol)

Yeah I know RS also uses the UE3, but every developer uses the engine in their own way. Just like that robot game that also uses UE3. Not a whole lot of eye candy in that. Epic really went far with GoW. We should expect the best if the company that actually created UE3 also makes a game ;)

Here are some screenies of UT07. Some even dating back to 2005.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748505/imgs_1.html

We (The UT04 ONS community) have been tracking this since day one, and the founder of my clan also knows people at Epic. This project has been going on for 2+yrs, and GoW was practically slapped together overnight. I'm not bashing GoW. It's a great game, but UT07 will pwn all. :D They will revolutionize online gaming once again just like Onslaught did back in 2004.

well opinions are like....you know (and we all have them)

GoW wasn't slapped together overnight. Not sure where you got that idea (even if your friend knows people at Epic, I still know people at Epic and I guarantee that this game was in development before the Xbox360 hardware dev kits were even issued by MS to top developers).

GoW is Epic's baby that will sell the UE3 engine to other game devs. Epic long ago sought to get into the console market as they realize that is where the money is (you can take my word for it, Tim Sweeney himself told our game dev group that Xbox and PS2 should be our first focus with a port to PC later since sales of console games are incredible compared to PC games...and this was way back when the Xbox first hit the scene).

GoW is a polished piece of work that shows off the power of the engine as well as the hardware in the Xbox with the right dev tools and support.

As for UT2007 owning all, it might look great (it might look better than Cryis or other games who knows) but it won't sell on the PC like it will on consoles (an unfortunate reality check for PC gamers).

I don't really find Onslaught all that revolutionary, since games were doing it before UT2004 did it (they just called it other things)

Well, overnight was a bit strong :D

But yeah, sadly consoles is where the flow is. I guess it's best not to get into a . match about video quality because of all the variables involved. But even today I was playing 1yr old Quake4 at 1920x1280 at Ultra Quality, and I've played GoW at 1080p. My reasoning is PC games are fully scalable. If you can't play a game at its max settings today, you will be able to in at least 1 years time.

What games did you consider to be similiar to Onslaught?

I love ONS because of the speed of the game itself and having to work as a team. Plus the number of things that happen in the game itself. The only thing I've come across even close was Halo, and that game felt really lame.

I'll create a thread on a neat little ONS video one of the UT04 clans made :)

GoW was announced long ago as the first game that would be published to utilize the Unreal3 Engine...

But if you think GoW won't get daddy'd by UT2K7 on any platform, I think you're mistaken... that's just my opinion though :)

as for me and my next rig (I always build a new rig based on the recommended specs of the next Unreal Tournament :cool: ) I'm thinkin Quad-Core Core2Extreme, and DFI's 680i SLI-based board, which I'm hoping will be out by the time nVidia works out all the bugs... two 8800GTX's a matrox TripleHead2Go for the ultimate surround view experience (3 18.3" identical flat panels... my 3rd one just got here about 10 minutes ago... each one cost me only $40 :eek2: ) hehehehe sweeeeet :D