Serious cpu heat issues

Vette

Im having big problems with CPU heat, ITE is reading 95 celcius, and coretemp is reading 84 celcius under orthos load. I've reseated my Scythe Infinity w/ Stock Fan with arctic silver like 5 times. im running a conroe 6600 at 2.5ghz, 1.4 vccp. just cant figure out why its cookin so much. also it idles at 76 ITE/67 Coretemp.

Theres something seriously wrong with your rig since I am running basically the same setup. Right now I am running 3.4 Ghz and the most that I hit with a room in the mid 70's is between 55c and 60c at full load with two instances of Prime 95. The Scythe Infiity does a great job on my end. My current setup has one intake Fan with ducting to the pushing fan of the heatsink and then an exhaust fan in the back of the case. All the fans rotating below 2000 rpms. As I have found out a pulling fan on the Scythe Infinity doesnt do much good and for some reason makes the fan noisy.

Right now my CPU is running at 1.4V and is stable so far at the temperatures mentioned above. As for reliability in reading go with coretemp instead of ITE. I only use ITE for the Voltages and the NB temps though. I suggest testing the board outside the case and getting or borrowing a laser temperature meter if you can since they are very accurate. Besides that if all else fails then RMA it.

i have the 120 fan on the infinity pushing air into the heatsink then my rear exhaust 80mm is like 1 inch behind it sucking air out.

when you say RMA it, do you mean the board or the chip? also do you think the heatsink could be a problem? ive never used this heatsink with any other rig, its new for this one. would going out and buying another cooler be a good idea to test it?

Run a metal engineers ruler across the base of the scythe and make sure that it is perfectly flat (i.e. look for any light between the ruler and the cooler base).

Also, when you remove the scythe this time check and see what type of footprint the thermal grease is leaving. If either the cooler or cpu IHS are convex or concave you will have an uneven distribution of the thermal grease on both surfaces.

I also use core temp. for my cpu temperature readings. It is closer to what the bios is reporting than anything else I've tried. Everest Ultimate version 2.5 temperature readouts are completedly fubared, and ITE seems off by 2-3C.

I would go with what Wevss has stated in checking the "plane" for a level seat from your CPU to cooler. It seems that you may not be making a decent contact for heat transfer to your cpu heatsink expecially if it sits at a constantly high temp. As you already stated, you re-seated your stuff about five times. Try it again.... Are you using an excessive amount of thermal paste? Before you re-mount your heatsink again, look at how the cpu sits in the slot by itself maybe even use a Magnifying glass to get a better look at it if you are still unsre. But, ensure that it sits level in the slot and that your heatsink is sitting just as level on top of your cpu. Bad contact from CPU to Cooler can be just as bad as NO contact.

Also, check with your hand how hot the heatsink is (carefully).

This will help you to see if the motherboard sensors are wrong or not.

its really hot to the touch and its venting some really hot air.

thanks for the suggestions, i have tommorow off work so im going to take my rig out of the case and play with it.

If none of the above suggestions work, you might try a BIOS flash to 0704-2bta using TMOD's BIOS flash cd.

After you get the BIOS flash done, make sure you go into the BIOS > PC Health Section and set all of your fan fully on/fully off settings to the same value. I use 25C for all of mine. If you are using the m/b fan header for the cpu fan, i'd pull it off of the m/b headers and get it onto a fan controller or power supply molex.

That will get your cpu heatsink fan blowing at full rpm's.

If you still have overheating issues, it could very well be the result of poor contact between the IHS and the actual core itself. At this point you would have to decide on your own whether to RMA the processor or attempt to permanently remove the IHS, or at least remove the IHS, clean, apply new thermal paste and reseat.

If none of the above suggestions work, you might try a BIOS flash to 0704-2bta using TMOD's BIOS flash cd..

i believe from his first post he is running an e6600 on a 975x/g... you should probably reflect this in your sig to make sure other users dont assume you are talking about your a64 system