My CPU and Bottlenecks w/ new GPU

Danuel

Guest LookBackX2

I think if you find an 8800gts 320 @ a good price, you will not be limited by your cpu, and imho, will be taking advantage of the top Bang-for-your-buck buy right now.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read this,

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77741

Overclock your CPU.

Buy a better GPU.

Enjoy.

My opinion on DX10 cards is that they are fantastic for DX9 games but I think 1st gen DX10 cards are gonna suck on 1st gen DX10 games. New territory for all those involved - learn the API, learn the hardware, learn Vista etc...

Read this,

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77741

Overclock your CPU.

Buy a better GPU.

Enjoy.

My opinion on DX10 cards is that they are fantastic for DX9 games but I think 1st gen DX10 cards are gonna suck on 1st gen DX10 games. New territory for all those involved - learn the API, learn the hardware, learn Vista etc...

lol, as I was reading down the page, I decided to post that link too, then I got to the last post, and sure enough, you beat me to it, and by the way, I'm not using any periods either!

Guest sutahz

Well from what I've read here my X2 4400+ @ 2.2GHz isnt bad for my 8800GTS 640MB, though bumping it up to 2.4 or 2.5GHz wont hurt either. I wish I could get 285x10 or so like you guys, but one of my cores is definatly a weakling. I have a 22"WS 1680x1050, but i also have a 21" CRT next to it (dont use it, but for games like Supreem Commander that can use 2 monitors, i'll use it). Hmm, can make my CRT a widescreen monitor (but w/ higher res's then LCDs, never thought of that before).

Everything I've read so far tells me to stay away from anything that is rated lower than the 8800's. If you can't stretch to the 8800GTS's either wait till you can or get a nice ATI X1950???.

i feel as if im not getting the 100% from my 8800GTS 640MB Superclocked.

i feel im being held back. here are my full specs

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ 2.4ghz 240x10

4x512mb Kingston DDR 400 3-3-3-8

ASUS A8N-SLI SE

Antec 550Watt SLI True Power 2 (being replaced by Mushkin 650watt in a week)

should i go to 2.6ghz? get better ram? what should i do

• 1 month later...

yes and thats where your Bottleneck is happening. Dull core around 2.5 or better 2X1meg l2 2X1Gig of ram im not sure if that 4X512 setup is going to work as well as 2X1Gig. I use the same power supply. Try 9 multy like 9X300=2700mhz you will have to put your membuss back too 333 or less im runnning 2.8 and had to use 133/266 membuss that dump's out at 2700=399membuss and2800=413 membuss.

Back when we went to 64bit hardware I was running a Gforce2 ddr400 with a 3200barton and 1XGig of ram or 2X512. But I upgraded from a 5700ultra 8X video card to a top of the line 5900ultra and saw no improvement's at all. So me and Tom's Hardware changed our refrence machines to the 754 64bit model's and what do you know i got increased 3DMarkCPU scores and my game played better. But you are cloase to having it now you just need to overclock your system alittle. You should be able to go 2.6 or 2.7 without changing or increasing your vcore or pcu voltage. And that willl make a dif.

BA