XFX 8800 Factory overclocked

Raphie

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

found this on www.guru3d.com :

XFX has released the first-ever overclocked versions of the powerful new GeForce® 8800-series video cards into the general population, in very limited release. Based on the long-running success of XFX’s ultra-high-performance XXX series cards, hard-core gaming enthusiasts who crave the finest in performance products will need to move fast to get one of these in-demand video cards.

The goods at stake: A choice of the top-of-the-line 8800 GTX XXX Edition, overclocked from the standard 575Mhz Core/1.8Mhz Memory Clock speed to a red-lined 630 Mhz Core/2.0 Ghz Memory clock and a super-high-performance 8800 GTS XXX Edition dialed up from a standard 500 Mhz Core/1.6 Memory clock speed to 550 Mhz Core/1.8 Ghz Memory clock speed.

Working within its own factory setting, XFX has two research and development teams that are continually working on new procedures that will maximize card performance, enhance card stability, improve life expectancy and offer serious endurance. XFX also has a vigorous test protocol in place, with each card tested based on 12 to 15 points on both Intel- and AMD-based machines. And, before any card leaves the factory, it is tested with 3DMark06.

Would this mean that we can clock the current XFX cards at the same speeds? If any of you is buying one of these beasts would you mind to share it's BIOS/

Very interesting indeed i bet once flashed the shader clock would be increased aswell giving the GTS the power of a GTX (or very close)

i bet once flashed the shader clock would be increased aswell giving the GTS the power of a GTX (or very close)

The shader frequency is linked to the core frequency. So as the core speed is increased the shader speed also has to increase. But there is more of a difference between the two cards then just speed. So it's not possible to equal the processing power of the GTX by increasing clock speeds.

8800GTS

96 Stream Processors, Five ROP partitions and a 320-bit memory path

8800GTX

128 Stream Processors, Six ROP partitions and a 384-bit memory path

• 3 weeks later...

Until nVidia releases a driver suitable for the 8800 series, we will not know just how well these cards will perform. I have never understood nVidia. They release cards long before they optimize drivers for them. I remember when the 7950 was released. All I read was how everyones high dollar single slot SLI wasn't working properly. Now, three months after the fact, they finally get a decent driver to run these cards. If nVidia would put as much effort into their driver program as ATI does, without a doubt they would run ATI out of business, or close to it. But this fact alone has me going back to ATI when they release their new DX10 card. Sad part about that is that I won't be able to resell these two 7900GT KO SC's. Already tried that on eBay last month. Had them listed separately for $170 each. They oc to GTX speeds and run fantastically. But after two weeks, I gave up. I guess I will just keep them as backups.

I just got the Evga 8800 GTS from newegg. The first thing i did was pop her in the pc and see how she worked. She turned on, and didn't seem to have any problems. =D So then i played around in some games with everything stock, even the cpu stock. After awhile later i decided it was time to see what she looked like underneath the heatsink. Wow this thing is just huge compared to my old 7800 GTX heatsinks. After a couple of minutes struggling to lightly pull off the heat sink, she finally came off. I removed all of the old thermal factory paste, reapplied some fresh silver thermal compound and plugged her back in. My initial temperatures weren't fantastic, idle temps at 60C on the stock fan output. Or auto whatever speed that is, then decided it was time to download Riva Tuner and tune this baby. I turned the fan onto 100%, full throttle. The temperatures dropped 8C. Much better, then came the tweaking part. I figured my old 7800 GTX's could handle 80C easily, this new 8800 GTS should handle that easily. I started to overclock, lightly at first. With a benchmark in 3dmark05 and 06 for stability purposes. Each time passing, i would up the gpu and memory a little more. Well long story short, so far i'm at 660mhz core, and 1000mhz for memory. Shaders are overclocked in sync i suppose, which i notice have gone up. My highest temps for full load have been 69C which is very respectable in my opinion. I think i even have more head room but, i am not sure how much more i should push it. No artifacts as of yet in any gaming at these overclocked speeds. 3dmark05 went up 1200 points, i'm pretty happy needless to say. It may not beat an 8800 GTX overclocked, but a stock GTS i cream the pants off those. Close to GTX speeds? If not better of the stockers.

I just got the Evga 8800 GTS from newegg. The first thing i did was pop her in the pc and see how she worked. She turned on, and didn't seem to have any problems. =D So then i played around in some games with everything stock, even the cpu stock. After awhile later i decided it was time to see what she looked like underneath the heatsink. Wow this thing is just huge compared to my old 7800 GTX heatsinks. After a couple of minutes struggling to lightly pull off the heat sink, she finally came off. I removed all of the old thermal factory paste, reapplied some fresh silver thermal compound and plugged her back in. My initial temperatures weren't fantastic, idle temps at 60C on the stock fan output. Or auto whatever speed that is, then decided it was time to download Riva Tuner and tune this baby. I turned the fan onto 100%, full throttle. The temperatures dropped 8C. Much better, then came the tweaking part. I figured my old 7800 GTX's could handle 80C easily, this new 8800 GTS should handle that easily. I started to overclock, lightly at first. With a benchmark in 3dmark05 and 06 for stability purposes. Each time passing, i would up the gpu and memory a little more. Well long story short, so far i'm at 660mhz core, and 1000mhz for memory. Shaders are overclocked in sync i suppose, which i notice have gone up. My highest temps for full load have been 69C which is very respectable in my opinion. I think i even have more head room but, i am not sure how much more i should push it. No artifacts as of yet in any gaming at these overclocked speeds. 3dmark05 went up 1200 points, i'm pretty happy needless to say. It may not beat an 8800 GTX overclocked, but a stock GTS i cream the pants off those. Close to GTX speeds? If not better of the stockers.

660 aye, that should mean the core is actually at 648. once you go over about 663, the core will jump to 675.

The way these things OC is weird. Check out the real-time clock monitor in rivatuner, it'll show you the actual clocks that are being set.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...ghlight=648+675

Same way BFG did I guess.

http://home.comcast.net/~speedracer3333/DSCF1332.JPG

...I should have waited for this.

BTW, though I could be wrong, I think that I read a couple of articles on the internet that NIVIDIA banned the factory-overclocking the 8800 series before…

Wait, I did a quick Google search and found this: “Nvidia Forbids Factory Overclocking on 8800 Series" , but I did not find the news/articles that NVIDIA allowed the fatory-overclocking of the 8800 series…

I wonder how XFX worked around.

[EDIT] fuond the news: "XFX has a licence to overclock G80"