X2 3800+ on BigTyphoon + Pop the lid = bad/good idea?

Redbeaver

ok, so i got a 3800+, with the BT on.

wit my SLI INF board, i got very good temps on them (measured wit actual temp probe), 38~40ish.

With the Expert, running the same voltage has the cores running around 60+ with ITE Smartguardian around 45-48.

i dont like that.

reason being is, the orientation of the BT on the INF board is parallel to my Temjin-TJ06 wind tunnel with 120mm intake and 120mm outtake. With th expert, the mounting holes only allows the BT to b mounted perpendicular (more air going up to the card or down to the bottom)(it's a btx wannabe case, pic on my sig), and so screwed up the whole *mojo*.

now, im planning on getting some watercooling kit probably January/February, depending on the budget, so getting a Zalman9700 (those are nice) to get the windtunnel mojo back is abit out of the question.....

so for the meantime, i have to do with what i got.

thus the question pops on my head (pun intended), what if the BT runs on naked cores?? pop the heatsink and mount it, maybe helps a degree or two....

i'm not worried about cracking the core on the BT, but im abit worried on popping the heatsink on the CPU since i tried to pop my Venice and it didnt work too well (too well shut, almost lost a finger, and the lid still there).

so,

oppinions? suggestions? ideas?

much appreciated :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I popped the lid on my Opty yesterday.I use wingnuts on the bolts for the BT.

I had already lapped the BT when I first installed it.I popped my first IHS with a 3400 Newcastle a couple years ago.It didn't go great but I didn't slice myself.This time I took Goo Gone and poured it in a dish with the chip upside down.I almost covered the chip with it. Let it set a couple hours removed and rinsed it with 99% alcohol.The seal was easy to slice then.Got the IHS off,rinsed again,used canned air to dry it.It probably dropped my load temp about 5 degrees.

Take your time and be VERY careful. Did I mention take your time?? Take breaks after a few minutes to let your fingers/nerves relax if needed.

You can do it. Why? Because I did it, so I know anyone can.

I lost around 7 degrees load on mine.

nice!

now to find Goo Gone... never heard of that stuff before....... oh well, i live above HomeHardware so they should know lol

thx Prospec'!

wow, thx for the quick replies guys.... keep it comin and i might do it tonite lol (god i gotta work tomorrow......) no wait, prospect told me to get the googone, so maybe tomorrow if the replies agreez ;)

Just shove the CPU back into the foam square it was shipped with you so don't bend the pins. Grab it gently and do a couple rounds with a thin razor blade. I never mess with trying to "soften up" the seal, just cut through it.

I've mounted the same BT on two different naked chips (E3 Venice, X2 3800+ Toledo) about a dozen times total, using only stock hardware. Both chips have spent their entire lives in a vertical case, never a problem. Use ceramique, though, as AS5 breaks down/dries up quicker and remounts of course raise the risk of cracking the chip. They're pretty tough imho. You can really crank down on the hardware if you are careful.

My load temps dropped almost 10C on the Toledo (much less on Venice) and got at least an extra 75mhz stable at same voltage.

nice! with 75 i can hit 3Ghz lol!

that was what it took for me. I couldn't breach 2950mhz at any voltage with the IHS still on. Now can get stable @ 3020+mhz on 1.568v and have run a few SP1M at 3150mhz. Might be a bit more in it, but it runs a folding project 24/7 (3.0ghz @1.55v) so I haven't pushed it any more than that. Pretty sure this is still the best Toledo on air in the "AMD 3ghz Club" and the only 3800+ on any cooling. Good stepping and sheer dumb luck, lol. Last time I bought for the stepping, I had one of the legendary 0517 Venice, and it turned out to be a pretty mediocre chip for the stepping.

Looks like you have a good one there, good luck:nod: