new watercooling setup, is this good or too hot?

Thasp

I didn't buy enough tubing initially so I am only using the CPU block.

I am using the swiftech version of the D5 pump in the WCing sticky, an mp-05 CPU block, swiftech mcr320 radiator, and some weird green coolant.

I am at 1.535v on the e6400, at 3.6 GHz. After orthos has run for about three minutes, it blinks from 57c, to 60c, to 62c, then back to 57 in loops.

Is this great cooling, or should I be able to do much better? I forgot to clean the radiator out completely because my mind was so stuck on the fact that I was stupid enough to only buy five feet of tubing. :(

The Tuniq Tower I had went to about 73-81c depending on room temperature with orthos.

Since I forgot to clean out the radiator, can I install a filter in the line for a week and expect it to do something? I don't mind putting clock speeds down to near stock for a week so I can have it filter it out. It's a very strong pump so I don't think it would kill flow that bad, I just want to know if it would work.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RohypnoL

That's VERY hot ESPECIALLY for watercooling. Check to make sure your block is firmly on your CPU and that you don't have any kinks in your tubing that could stop the flow of cool water through the block.

I would say something is wrong. You temps under load should be 40-45C with that block.

One thing to check is to make sure your pump "outlet" is feeding fresh water to the inlet barb of your mp-05. That would be the center barb. This make sure you are getting fresh, cool water drawn from the rad to the block. Also do you have fans on your rad, you didn't say?

If you did not flush your rad with vinegar its also possible it could be plugged, or the fine channels in the CPU block could also be plugged with gunk. I would flush the whole thing out with vinegar water and start again.

If you do it like this with vinegar water and turn the pump on it will flush the system, and the waste goes into a bucket. Let it sit for a while then do it again.

installingloop001hy9.th.jpg

Guest RohypnoL

Hmm.. I don't see anything wrong with your setup. Did you check to see if your block was on firmly? Remember to use thermal paste? :P

the problem is I already used the $15 thing of coolant, very little is left. Flushing the system means I may have to get new coolant, too. I can't just go to the supermarket and get distiled water around here. I have to travel outside of this city just to buy a motherboard. Not a special, or new motherboard... _any_ motherboard. :(

I guess I will have to try some other stuff. When I got the block, no amount of nail polish remover and cuetips seemed to remove all the crap from the bottom. I never got around to making it so a cuetip with nail polish remover wouldn't turn black when rubbing against the base of the block, should I retry with something else(a sponge or cotton ball like I have with older sinks?) because unless I can use red vinegar as coolant, I can't dump the coolant I have.

Hmm.. I don't see anything wrong with your setup. Did you check to see if your block was on firmly? Remember to use thermal paste? :P

Yeah by now I know to use thermal paste on my heatsinks.

I applied AS5 with a cuetip to make a thin layer over the whole thing and put a small drop in the middle.

You can put on too much AS5 if your not careful, and then it acts like an insulator. For a long time I have used the grain of rice in the middle of the chip, mount the block and give it a slight twist to the left, or right does not matter, and tighten down the screws. Always works for me, every time...

Okay, this is beginning to get really annoying.

I took the block off and spent a half hour going back and forth between a sponge and cuetips with nail polish remover until it was as clean as it would get, much cleaner than before, and cleaned the CPU in the same manner. I put the AS5 on how the instructions said to, not how I was doing it before. For a dual core intel CPU it said to put a line straight down the middle, so i did, in the proper drection.. now it's 65c with orthos, 1.535v, 3.6 GHz. The room is a bit hotter now than before, but still..

At stock I loaded at 31c.

I can't twist the block due to the design, as you lower it onto the CPU it goes through screws.

I've never used AS5 before, I usually use the zalman packeted stuff. Do I have to wait for this stuff to 'burn in' before it works up to how it should? This is really disappointing. :(

Well nail polish remover isn't a good thing to be using. It has oils and such in it to keep it from completely drying out your skin if you get it on you. So by using it, you got a nice coating of the oils and whatnot on the block and cpu. So if I had to guess why it got worse, it would be because you put more oils on them or you didn't have any on the cpu before and now you do.

You want pure isopropol (sp?) or acetone, not rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover. Once you get the block and cpu cleaned up properly it should fix some of the heat issues. I don't know much about water cooling so that's all I can suggest.