new watercooling setup, is this good or too hot?

Thasp

I am not using the motherboard socket sensors, I am using coretemp to get the sensor on the diode.

I found three gallons of distilled water and 91% isopropyl alcohol, I will start draining and cleaning and fun stuff now.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used white vinegar 5% distilled. Filled the rad and let it soak overnight. Rinsed afew times refilled with vinegar soak 1/2hr shake for 1/2hr then rinse with distilled water.Repeated that a few times.(The 1/2hr bit).I went though 2 gals of vinegar. And store bought distilled water to rinse with and fill(5gals). And 1 small cap of algeacide.When done. All the parts you have look good. Not really a good idea to run vinegar through the pump or hoses. I'm kinda' wondering why it's running so warm. It really should be alot better than that. Is the pump clogged? Did you clean the block too? Another thing I wonder is how flat the block is. Is the IHS fairly flat too?

Is there alot of air in the rad?

I am not using the motherboard socket sensors, I am using coretemp to get the sensor on the diode.

I was referring to the possibility that the thermal sensor that is integrated into the CPU die may be bad. Could also be a reporting error in coretemp. I use ITE SmartGuardian (came w/ my MB) but speedfan and MBM should be good as well.

Also, check what the no-load temps are in the BOIS as the idle temps (in windows) should be similag (probably slightly higher).

When I had the AS5 on properly, my temps dropped about 15c from air cooling. from 75-82 on the tuniq to 57-62.

I'm just thinking - is this such a bad temperature for a mightily overclocked Core 2 Duo at 1.5V? Considering this particular chip is rated at 1.3(?)V at 2Ghz or so, I'm just wondering whether this is really an issue with the cooling or more the insane overclock.

It does seem to be a huge temperature, granted, but given the temps actually decreased after air cooling by the amount that one would approximately expect it to do so, it's looking possible that it isn't a problem with the cooling afterall.

Just a thought.

I'm just thinking - is this such a bad temperature for a mightily overclocked Core 2 Duo at 1.5V? Considering this particular chip is rated at 1.3(?)V at 2Ghz or so, I'm just wondering whether this is really an issue with the cooling or more the insane overclock.

It does seem to be a huge temperature, granted, but given the temps actually decreased after air cooling by the amount that one would approximately expect it to do so, it's looking possible that it isn't a problem with the cooling afterall.

Just a thought.

Although, with the triple-fan rad there is alot of heat removal capacity. As long as the flow-rate is good and the fans are on the temps should remain pretty low. My 3.2GHz P4 had idle/load temps of ~45/60 on air when running @ 3.76GHz; on water it's currently running @ 3.87GHz w/ temps of 30/40 (temps are 25/35 @ 3.2).

60C load temps are high for H2O should be more like 40-45C OCed (~35C stock)

Interesting. Those P4s are such thermal monsters I trust your opinion just from keeping it at 40C xD

I have a friend whose old Socket 775 P4 3.4Ghz (I think it was 775... they're the only ones that went past 3.2Ghz iirc, please do correct if I'm mislead), ran at 80C idle, and it wasn't a defective chip or anything. He installed a Vantec tornado 120mm in the back of a huge server tower and bought a huge zalman copper HSF to keep it running at or below 60C load - it would be hitting 95C load beforehand and would throttle. If my reading serves me, Intel have adopted the "AMD Routine" with the C2Ds and made a high efficiency chip (Both thermally and architecture-wise), so I don't suppose they hit that sort of temp.

The main reason I was concerned about the C2D with regards to this thread is that this guy is hitting somewhere around 80% overclock. The A64 venices were previously considered the gods of overclocking and generally 50% was considered pretty damned nice, though not entirely uncommon.

I didn't know liquid cooling could have such an effect to be honest. I'll do it someday when I have £200 to spare...

*5 millionth edit*

Just to put another spotlight on a post above - with my limited knowledge on the topic, I would say Rado's comment on the pump is quite relevant - if it's making noise when it shouldn't be doing so then, well, figure : p

with your setup you shoulda went with a apogee black to take advantage of high flow.

get some better paste.

reseat the block a few times.

and dont use any water in your system.

use premixxed liquids like pc ice. or other coolants that DO NOT require distilled water.

using coolants,,, dont taint your tubes with that dull crap on it. keeps them nice and clear.

MP-05 is better than an Apogee.. And no distilled water in the setup? That's the strangest thing I've never heard. Really, nobody says that.

Your setup seems to be fine. How is the contact between IHS and block? If it's fine, try taking your setup apart again and check if your block has been clogged up.

Okay, I ran vinegar with distilled water through it for an hour, then emptied, now distilled water with small additions of that ipuprofil alcohol, and also dipped the radiator in vinegar, then alcohol, then distilled water(actually all mixed together because the pan was too big for the amount of liquid I had).

I'm going to use the new alcohol to clean the CPU and the block.

I don't know if i have enough MCT-5 coolant left to fill it up again, so I might have to use distilled water. I'll measure and check.

I was at 1.535v, not 1.5v. 1.5v was much cooler. :( but only stable for three hours of prime. 1.525 was for nine before failure, 1.535 well I'm not going to bother testing that far yet.

Hopefully all this cleaning worked - we'll see soon enough I guess.

Thanks again for all your help - I really appreciate it, and only makes me feel even worse that I gave in to buying ASUS. :(

It's all done being cleaned.

I think I may be a tad short on coolant after all this - can I just use the plain distilled water? It's thanksgiving weekend, it'll be until the middle to the end of next week before I can get anything, and I'd rather not stay on the 1.8 GHz p4-m 256 MB RAM laptop when I have that setup just sitting there.

I stopped using the normal asus monitor when it would say 62c when coretemp or intel tat said over 80.. using the mobo socket temp overclocking is a great way to kill the CPU.