Memory Upgrade>>Reboot/Boot Problems

Hey All,

Recently upgraded my memory package from 1 to 2 GB using the prescribed method:

1. Saved my working BIOS set-up to one of the save slots

2.Load defaults...save/exit...power-down unplug PSU...discharge with power button

3.. Clear CMOS with jumper...remove battery

4. Install new RAM (Orange slots)

5. Move jumper back...install battery

6. Power-up...back into BIOS...load defaults...save and exit

7. Back into BIOS...make appropriate settings changes...save and reboot

8. Run Memory test (was feeling lucky so I ran both sticks, no failures for 8hours)

...and here's where the problem begins:

If I tell Windows to restart (reBoot), it shuts-down and then won't Post

until I reset with the Power button.

If the system is powered down and I turn it on, the BIOS will freeze at the first Boot screen (shows only the CPU info), until I power-off/power-on using the power button.

This morning, I could not get it to Boot, until I unpluged the P/S, discharged, and powered on again.

After reading some posts here, I'm now terrified to shut down because of possible BIOS corruption.

I want to add that once I'm in Windows, I have absolutly no problems. I've been playing Gothic 3 with no problems and the system benchs fine with 3DMark06.

I got the memory settings from this link:

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showpost....971&postcount=3

..as it pertains to my mobo and memory, although I am running the memory at 200MHz only with NO OC to the CPU or memory.

I have previously run the system for about a year with 2-512MB OCZ 4800 Plat. Elites with "no" problems (mainly due to this forums excellant info base that helped me set-up this computer...many thanks!)

Help...please!!

Is BIOS corruption something I should be worried about, and what could be causing my Boot issues?

...one other thing: when I saved my previous BIOS setting, this was the first time that I had used this BIOS option, could this have anything to do with my ongoing problems?

RGone, oh DFI guru devine, please help this unworthy follower....

Clear CMOS again, ten minutes, eight hours, then 24 if neither of those work.

Then test memory one stick at a time for eight hours.

If you keep having problems even getting BIOS to function, you can get a new BIOS chip from TMod for 11 dolalrs or something like that.

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, ****FX CPU****, WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I think you have exactly same problem as me. The reason is simple, CPU compatibility. I just opened up a thread before reading yours. wahahahahahahaha i have friend now wahahahahahahahahahahahahh.....

NO CURE my friend, at the moment. I am waiting DFI taiwan's solution through the local DFI distributor. I think only a bios upgrade can save us (WIDE upgrade it will be, involve almost all DFI boards)

Although yours is FX57, i guess our problems are similar. Before this i used 2x Corsair 512mb without problem too.

...although I really do appreciate the responces, based the trouble-shooting advice that i've seen posted in these forums, I was hoping for something a little more definitive.

To any others reading this plea for help, I really don't think that this is a hardware issue, once the system boots into Windows I can stress the system for hours and hours (games, benchmarks, etc.).

I think that it's just some sort of BIOS/memory timing thing related to my new RAM (which tests fine with Memtest)....

I read in another post this morning (by ExRoadie) about a proper clear CMOS procedure from a "No-boot" condition, and although I did clear the CMOS (as stated inmy first post) when I changed the RAM, I'll give that a try.

Thanks to all that have or will respond!

Kevin

Might try bringing Max Async down to 7.0 and Read Preamble to 5.0, the ddr500 settings may be a little loose at stock speeds.

Drive strength of 8 and DDS of 2 should work at stock but a little more DDS may be necessary..

Using your other memory and previously saved settings does the problem still exist? If not then it's either a memory/timing problem or a a faulty memory controller as ExRoadie has already stated. There is no compatibility issue between DFI boards and FX processors running 2x1GB of ram. Check around, there's a lot of people here running that combination with no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

...well finally got a break from work and tried the memory timing changes suggested by CPDMF, I also changed the delay for HDD from 1 to 0 sec.

So far everything seems to be fine now with now booting issues!

Thanks to all the posted to my thread!

Kevin