O/c'ing Radeon 9600pro

supra411

Hi:

I just downloaded PowerStrip, and I was wondering how do I overclock my 9600pro with it. I know that there is a faq on it, but it really doesn't go into details about it.

Thx

Ricky

Edit: Okay, just overclocked my radeon to 440/325 w/ powerstrip. What are signs that the video card is becoming unstable???

Edited by supra411

The best way to see if its stable is to use your eyes. Run something intensive like 3dmark03 and watch for anything strange. If your ram is pushed too far, you'll see white dots or specks flash on the screen. If the core is pushed too far, it'll either freeze or you'll get weird things like texture dropouts or checkerboarding. It'll be pretty obvious. If you get either, back the clocks down about 5mhz and try again.

You can also get a program called Artifact Tester that supposedly tests for artifacts caused by overclocking. But I've never had it find any, so I don't know how well it works.

I find that i like to use the omega drivers which have a tab for overclocking the card. the only reason is that i like to have the least number of programs running simultaneously, and i can overclock a little farther while still being stable when i use the omega drivers to overclock.

I like doing it that way too, but the Omega drivers are not the best out there by a long shot. Just download Radclocker, the program that the Omega drivers use to overclock, seperately. Search google for Radclocker and you'll find it real quick.

:google:

Trios

AS far as overclocking a radeon. DOn't worry about flashing the bios. That was only really truely designed for the 9500 series first generation which actually had 8 pipelines on it but only 4 work active. That flash made it so all 8 we active. Some companies like sapphire include a o/c program with their cards. besides that any other progs suggested are good to use. try to get a better heatsink for the 9600 if you want to o/c it. the hs that comes on it kinda sucks.

hey darkerick, i'm not tryin to be mean, but read the posts in the thread before you reply. ;)

as for the hs that comes with the 9600. it does look wimpy, but as long as your case is well ventilated, than you should be able to get at least about 460/340.

i don't push mine that far just because i don't have any games that need me too, and i want it to last a few years.

p.s. what pizoi said is good advice

Edited by frictionboy

Off the topic kinda, does anybody have a 9600 pro, do they proform any better then an nvidia geforce 4 mx 440?? I have mine , nvidia, over clocked 129 Mhz over the set!! Running stable, does anybody know how this cars is. I get an average of 28 to 30 FPS in halo. Anybody get better with a Ati 9600 pro? Thakns

asus, there's a reason we have 5 BILLION posts on the 9600 pro here.

but back on topic, the 9600 pro oc's fairly well as long as you don't get stuck with elixer ram. Otherwise keeping the stock hsf on it, and suplimenting it with a system blower (large fan that is built to pull air out via a pci slot) will aid tremendously. I do this on my 9800 pro's and have had great results (also seems to add stability at stock speeds).