Half-Life 2 - Game of the year EDITION

old_geekster

I recently purchased the above game from Wal-Mart. It includes three other games. However, there is a major problem at least from my perspective. For me to play the games, I must join "Steam" Valve's on-line gaming business to play any of the games. This is not good for me, since I am not the best at these games.

Now, here is why I have a problem with this arrangement. Nowhere on the packaging does it say anything about joining "Steam". You have no idea that this is the case until you have already begun to open the container. Of course, once the cellophane wrapping is removed, you can't return the game to the retailer. Then, on the sticker that seals the container and states the "System Requirements", you note is the smallest possible print that you should visit the "Steam" website for future info. If you don't agree with their terms you should return the game to the retailer before opening it. As I said, the game is basically open and can't be returned. I tried. So, I am out $30.

I find this to be less than scrupulous.:mad: Am I wrong?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is also an offline mode, however most of the games that come with hl2 are designed for online play, as has been said previously, you get alot better alot faster playing these games online.

I am sure that you are correct. However, my complaint is what I consider to be deceptive packaging and advertising. I won't be buying any more of their games. This is a fact.

The client is annoying, but the distribution system is clever and useful. UK users benefit from the exchange rate. Just don't go near the forums or support pages. *shudders*

It's not just online gaming services, which you don't have to use. Valve's games have been built around the Steam platform for at least the last couple of years, though they should state so clearly on the box. shrug.gif

I love steam. I buy games through them that way if I ever lose my OS, I just reformat, log on and download game again. Never have to worry about losing a disk. Just join man, it's no biggie. Sucks though they won't let you return it. Put up a big fuss and get a manager involved. I'm sure they'll help you.

Thanks to all for your input.:)

As long as it doesn't cost me more dinero (money), I guess I'll give it a try. I'll get good off-line, then, go for the gusto on-line.

I think you will be surprised at the level of difficulty of the game (in a good way). There are some sites to show you have to get through the hard parts, and let me tell you, some parts are not intuitive at all. But it is fun.

I think you will be surprised at the level of difficulty of the game (in a good way). There are some sites to show you have to get through the hard parts, and let me tell you, some parts are not intuitive at all. But it is fun.

I hope that it is not any more difficult than GR:Advanced Warfighter.:eek2: I have played one or two of the levels for several hours. The AI in the game is absolutely superior.

I bought it hoping that it would be as good as the original. Boy! did I get a pleasant surprise. I forgot how long it had been since the original went on the market. Things have changed considerably since 2001.

Some of the problem could be my old_geekster reflexes, however. I do have good learning capabilities. Once I have tried every possible scenario of the level, I eventually get the job done.:rolleyes: