New build only posts right after i clear cmos

I just got this NF4-D im building for someone, and wouldnt you know it there are issues.

Most of the times the board doesnt post at all and beeps intermittently with 3 LEDs, less ofthen it will hang at the splash screen, and rarely it will boot into my OS.

When it hangs at the 3 LEDs, it beeps for about 1 second ever 5-7 seconds.

If I clear the bios, it will boot right up, and pause at the screen where it informs me that my BIOS settings have been reset to default F1 to continue or F2 to enter BIOS.

until I hit either F1 or save my new bios settings it will post reliably, and if I allow it, it will boot into the OS. As soon as I complete the boot however, whatever BIOS settings are being loaded cause the same problem.

I have 2 X 512 of Kingston ValueRam but I have tried swapping other ram. I am running everything right now outside the case, with no other components besides GPU,CPU,MB,and MEM.

anyone know whats going on here? and if anyone is working at DFI in Cali,USA, either pick up 510-274-8000 or get an answering machine.

ValueRam does not play nice with DFI mobo's. First thing I would try is doing that minimal build outside the case. What is the brandname of your PSU? How many beeps are you getting when it does beep at you?

hi, thanks for quick reply.

i am building it outside the case. ive already tried other memory and no change. the PSU is a 550Watt Rosewill.

The beeps go like this. Turn on MB, 1 second beep when 3 LEDs lit. 4 second pause, 1/2 second beep. 4 second pause, 1 second beep, 4 second pause, 1 second beep, repeat lat beep/pause forever.

lately its not POSTing at all if I dont regularly reset the BIOS. I think this MB is a dud.

Have you run Memtest for 8+ hours to ensure stability?

Do that.

If you still have problems, test with one stick in the orange slot furthest from the CPU.

You'll probably have to manually put in the timings recommended by Kingston.

Also, that PSU is not recommended but is probably not the cause of your problems.

I'd recommed getting a DFI Recommended PSU per the link in my signature.

EDIT:

lately its not POSTing at all if I dont regularly reset the BIOS. I think this MB is a dud.
I hate to break it to you, but probably .5% (probably less) of the problems users have are the result of a bad motherboard.

You don't have a recommended PSU or recommended RAM ;)

DFIs are the best and therefore demand the best :)

I think this MB is a dud.

From another thread with problems similar to yours and the same brand of ram. I suggest testing your ram.

Classic memory issues:

1. Clear cmos and get one boot.

2. Booted one time but hale if I know how it did it. (probably did not Load Optimized Defaults)

3. 3 Leds on and the fourth flashes and then quits...(classic memory not compatible symptoms). NOTE: single stick of memory should only be tried in the ORANGE slot furtherest away from the cpu...at times the Yellow slot furtherest from the cpu may work.

Link to thread:

Boot Problem...Please Help

i forget what the brand my BrandName was. Its intended as a joke. Anyway, its not the rig in question.

Praz, i've tried several different types of RAM, and I always memtest memory anyway, so I know its good (at least for other systems)

UncleDavid, I dispute your .5% figure, and I have a feeling that an RMA is going to solve both my and this guy'shttp://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68318 problem.

I appreciate the suggestions, but does anyone have an idea that doesnt involve assuming every stick of RAM and every PSU i've tried will work on other DFI boards, but not this one.

Maybe I will mess with the memory timings and see what happens.

OK, it's fair enough to ask for help, but when help is given at least try it! :)

Trust me, we've been at this longer than you have ;)

Let me make this clear:

You cannot use a POS PSU and RAM and expect a DFI board to work.

You simply cannot... that is an unreasonable expectation. Sorry, it just is.

And about my figure, I've set up several DFI boards and as long as I use good stuff, I've NEVER had a problem.

I've been at this forum for almost a year and only one or two times have I seen somebody's problem being solved by RMA.

You can try, but don't expect it to solve your problems for you ;)

UncleDavid, I had tried everything you guys suggested, short of buying new parts.

The one thing I had misunderstood was that you guys wanted me to use the ORANGE slot furthest from my CPU. I just assumed you guys were referring to DIMM1 so thats what I did till this time I noticed DIMM1 and 3 were in fact yellow, and i should use 2 and 4.I mean, i guess i would have tried it eventually, but that's not exactly intuitive.

Now the thing is posting with pc2100 rosewill or any other excuse for sdram i put in there, value ram included.

You cannot use a POS PSU and RAM and expect a DFI board to work.

You simply cannot... that is an unreasonable expectation. Sorry, it just is.

*Shrug* something about that bother's me. i'm not saying you arent correct, but I thought we had specifications for x86 hardware for a reason.

bottom line is it works now, so i'm gonna leave well enough alone, if anyoe asks me i'm saying one of the bays is bad (i've had that happen before on a lanparty nfii ultra). I'm sure you'll disagree, but we dont have to agree on everything, do we?